Completed my first Knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
This took a little over 3 months, with one bodged first attempt at drilling the scales and a lot of stopping and starting when I was working or seeking advise on here. I'm not quite sure why the firesteel looks a different colour as it is the same wood as the scales and both have been stained with linseed oil. Making my knife was a fun and emotional experience and I'd highly recommend it to others thinking of trying!

The Blade is a 440 Trapper.
The Scales are made of Olive Wood and have black vulcanised liners.
The sheath is made by Rapid Boy.
Tools used were files, sandpaper, electric dill, saw and multi sander.

dsc01194vr9.jpg

dsc01193yz1.jpg

dsc01196mk4.jpg

dsc01197da2.jpg

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Unfortunately i can't read everything you've written as it's buried beneath adverts on the right hand side of the page but it looks like a great job. You must be pleased. :)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
That's really a rather nice knife. As to the different colours , it could be because you cut the wood with a different orientation to the grain, ie: with the grain as opposed to across the grain:You_Rock_

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
6 months bragging rights are awarded to Zammo!

If I had made that I would be showing off all over - cracking job fellah!

Red

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I'm having a few problems with this knife. My sheath is a very tight fit and everytime I pull the knife out of it some of the linseed oil gets scraped off. I tried rubbing the wood down with fine wire wool and then heating it with a hairdrier (as a member on here suggested) but this has made no difference.

Is there anything I can do to stop this happening?

dsc01207bh0.jpg

dsc01206eu3.jpg

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
Well done.
I made one as well, only used micarta in stead of wood. Even the pins I used are the same:D

I think it makes little sense to try and oil olivewood with linseed oil.
The wood is quite oily by itself.

I think you're better off using CCL oil.

[hide]
01%20(Medium).JPG
[/hide]

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Unfortunately i can't read everything you've written as it's buried beneath adverts on the right hand side of the page but it looks like a great job. You must be pleased. :)
I'm pleased I'm not the only one that cant read all the page due to the adverts,but those are quality jobs,Both Zammos and Ggfh666.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Have you waxed the inside of the sheath? That may help.

Most excellent work, you simply must do more!

Funnily since posting this I found the scuffing isn't the wood it's actually dust (or whatever it is) coming from the leather and once I buffed the handle it came off. Beofre I thought it was actually scratching the wood and re-applying linseed oil :D

What wax would I need to apply to the inside of the sheath?

ggfh666:

Thats some nice looking scales. Whats CCL oil?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE