Bushcraft Axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Damn it , if only you made this video a year ago , it would helped me so much :)
I have the husqvarna hatchet which is mostly identical to the hultafors hatchet , I love it , takes great edge and is great for splitting and easy to pack , I'm looking for an axe for winter and I think I will go with the Scandinavian Forest axe , I'm a big guy and I think it will be better than a small forest axe , am I right ?
Great video , enjoyed it , I know it will help someone very much , thanks for sharing.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Nice video, thanks. I know a good bit more about axes now than I did before seeing your presentation.
respect-048.gif

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
There was a poll on here a couple of years back, about what axe people carried and used... the SFA was near the bottom, surprisingly.

My favourite axe, is the one i got from Argos... very similar to the one Robin Wood sells now. Awesome tool, good bit of weight, wider bit, well flared, good for all kinds of work.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
We all have our own opinions. Here are mine based on some of the axes I have owned & used over the years. Hoping it maybe useful for those just starting out. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1O24ZkBZjQ

Hi, strangely enough, I've recently stumbled upon your channel on youtube and was watching some of the videos yesterday (hadn't previously noticed this thead). I enjoyed your video on the axes. It was quite timely as I currently use the Hultafors Classic Trekking axe but am toying with getting a heavier duty axe. I have been thinking of selling the trekking axe and treating myself to a GB small forest axe. But you're video has got me thinking of getting the more affordable Hultafors 900g large trekking axe as a second axe! I'm thinking this will come in handy for splitting tasks/winter camps and I've also started to help manage a small patch of woodland in Kent.

Top work on the youtube channel by the way, really enjoyed your videos. Nicely presented/filmed and really informative. Am going to have a go at some of your carving projects over the next few weeks.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Great video. It's always good to see choices made from experience rather than popular opinion. I abandoned my SFA quite a while ago and now pack as my standard a Wetterlings Outdoor Axe - similar in principle to the SFA but with a much better weight and shape of head for doing the task for which I use an axe most: splitting.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Of all the axes I have ever used (and that is a fair few!) my "go to" axe is still the GB SFA , backed up with a French boot-fair tomahawk from Biker:)
One of the drawbacks of the SFA is that it has a shortish helve - which means that for some folk there is a danger of a miss-swing hitting their leg/foot:- good technique avoids this and as I am short is less of a problem for me!
My French item is better for throwing but the SFA rules over other hatchets/small axes for its range of uses(I have used it to fell trees, sned them, chop them to logs, split them and reduce them to kindling, feathersticks and spoon blanks), the fit in my hand and it's packability :)
A good balanced video :) thank you.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Anither great video, I do use different axes for differnet uses and have sizes from the GB small hatchet, and through hawks and other hatchets to axes of various sizes upto a large splitting maul.

I have handled other peoples SFA but for me it is still too short as a proper axe use for most jobs, I like a slightly longer handle. so I go with either my GB Scandinavian forest axe or my personal favourite of a Swedish army axe which came in at £10 and I have never looked back, I even got a second which is slightly shorter for 15 but I am rehandling that one to a proper length for myself. I use the Mors method of checking the length of an axe to use and armpit to figure tip is for me.

I like the feel of an axe in the hand for use as a tool and sometimes it has even replaced a knife (using the small hatchet) I have tried the trail hawk and it is okay, but I have the riflesman hawk which is a bit better in use but a but heavier, a general hatchet which was my grandfather's cover basic chopping needs for kindling and the such on car/caravan camps.

Thanks Neil for doing the videos, you are on the definite watch list on you tube.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE