Cheap throwing axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisWebb2020

Mar 1, 2016
Kingstanding, Birmingham
Hi guys.

I've been interested in axes for ages. I've wanted to take up throwing them too, it's an artful skill and no mistake. (I realise it's not exactly the most useful of outdoor skills, but hey, I only intend it to be for fun.)
But, as much as I would love a nice bag full of GB double bit throwing axes, thats not likely to ever be in my budget.

So, what sort of axes are good for throwing? Has anyone had any experience with ranges like Z hunter or Mtech, (and is it easy to remove that gaudy paint that's visible from orbit?) is there something I should specifically be looking for?

Thanks for your time and advice folks, as always.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I usually take out the cold steel hawks for throwing. I like the frontier hawk best, but I believe the viking hawk they offer is very popular with more serious throwers. However, you can throw pretty much any axe or hatchet.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
You can throw pretty much anything, the only issue to consider is how long it will last.

I am a competative knife and axe thrower and as Hibrion says most throwers use Cold Steel stuff, either the Norse hawk, Riflemans or Frontier are classes as the norm (although I find the Frontier a bit light, I use Norse hawks).

Most of us throw tomahawks not axes, the reason being that the cold steel hawks have heads that are removable so a bad throw will lead to the handle coming out of the metal head (normally just becoming a bit loose so a small tap puts it back in). If you have a fixed handle then it can bend or break on a bad throw (and as a beginner you will do plenty of bad throws:p)

When you throw you are aiming (pun intended) for a 45degree stick in your target like this

You grasp the hawk like a hammer and a nice easy throw, the weight of the hawk will do the work. You adjust your distance from the target by a few inches either way to acheive the 45 degree stick.
This is our organisation KATTA UK (Knife, axe, tomahawk throwing association UK) messing around on a fun day attempting to do the Viking hair braid cut from the famous Viking film.

It should give you an idea of technique :)

[video=youtube;kvcWgOZCB4g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvcWgOZCB4g[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Why have an axe when you can have a shovel? ;)

[video=youtube;JNF-gEku1RE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNF-gEku1RE[/video]

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Why have an axe when you can have a shovel? ;)

[video=youtube;JNF-gEku1RE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNF-gEku1RE[/video]

Got one of these, & I think a frontier tomahawk, both are great, but I prefer the shovel, also I sharpened one edge, & it now chops as well !.

Rob

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ahh, we need a throwing club here in North Wales, I'd enjoy that. That's a brilliant set up you have there ArkAngel, nice compound. We need you and your guys to come visit at the Moot and have a throwing area :D

I've got a load of old axes that I just throw, none are the same but enjoy it now and then, as I enjoy throwing the shovels, I need another one of those though :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE