Bell Tent basecamp storage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Hi all

How do you store stuff in your tents? This years moot I'm bringing the family and it'd be good to have something to put all the gear in.

I made a chuck box, but it never got finished, is ridiculously heavy without gear in it and is pretty small for the weight. A chuck box is exactly what I want, but probably more lightweight and preferably collapsible.

We've used roller cases for storage in the sleeping area as that keeps things fairly neat - but better ideas always appreciated!

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Trouble always seems that what you need is at the bottom of the box at the bottom of the pile :) And boxes in the car waste a lot of space

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
Our boxes are see through and we also have the contents list taped to the outside of the box. The boxes also live in the trailer.
I understand that others dont have this luxury.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Use plastic see thorugh storage boxes as well.

One "firebox" with fire stuff, cooking gear, eating gear etc.
One Foodbox.
One Gas Fridge with food in.

All other gear (apart from chairs or a folding table) is in drybags from Sports Direct or Aldi, as on a basecamp car camp the rucksack does not add anything except extra bulk.

Back on the boxes it depends on the size of car and size of boxes.

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
We were hammocking under a tarp a couple of years back and had a plastic box or two filled with gear. Whilst only one was see through, it was a constant blighter getting to the bottom to get the can opener, or bottle opener etc. Most the stuff for the breakfast != same stuff for dinner, so there was this constant turnover of gear. We were also using the boxes as the table, which made it even more fun!

Hoping to bring the trailer as the kit this year includes:

25KG CO2 gas bottle
2x19Ltr kegs, regulator and pump.
5m bell tent, inner and ground sheet.
Bell tent stove
Bedding
Boxes for food, camping gear and child entertainment
Tarps
Clothing
Chairs
Solar panel & battery kit.
Child (they're not very compact and complain when they get squashed)
A few sellables
Firepit so I don't scortch the lovely grass
Gas fridge & cooker
Bucket Toilet (& probably a mini tent)
etc
Plus steves gear. He brings mountains.

If it's sunny I might bring the death ray.

Hoping to get down on the field this year! Notice the essentials went up first. Massively over engineered. When I go I have much, much less.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No idea where we got them from but we have flat-pack boxes for the bell tent. Plus some of the usual plastic storage box types. They dont take up space if they are packed into the car full.

Brynglas

All of my base camp kitchen gear, that is utensils, pans, pots and stuff like j cloths, scotchbrite etc. Live in a large Stanley plastic toolbox. It's waterproof and can withstand knocks etc and works fine.
It's easy to transport in the car and I know that everything I need is in there.

bearbait

I lived out of a motor vehicle for many months a year over several years. I used boxes. Just size them right and they're not a problem. For example I had the breakfast box, with everything needed for breakfast. The lunch box with...The supper box with...you get the idea. There is some overlap between them but it wasn't a problem as all the boxes were see-through. Clothes were all stored in stuff sacks in a North Face Kit bag, but any squishy kit bag would do. Again these were organised according to getting dressed: knix and sox and base layers in one stuff sack; T shirts in another, etc. etc. Bulky outdoor clothing was in the kit bag too, loose.

Kitchen stuff: stove, cutlery, pans, etc. all kept easily to hand in another box. Washing up stuff in the bowl.

Keeping food in boxes in your tent or camp makes it more difficult for critters (in the UK) to get at it. In places in N. America I had to put it all in a bear safe, vehicle-storage not being considered safe against Bruin. Again boxes made this easy.

Stuff you use frequently needs to be easy access. Take a moment to consider your storage plan in car or camp.

Takes a little while, a trip or three, to get your system sorted. I still revise mine slightly now.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Child (they're not very compact and complain when they get squashed)
A few sellables
Are these the same kind of items? :)

As with a lot of folk I use clear plastic boxes for some items then clothing etc goes in stuff sacks in soft bags or in home made baskets.
My wash kit is in a custom "saddlebag" western throw-over style pouch which goes over a rail between two tripods (may not work in a tent with a groundsheet fixed in...)
Other stuff - rucksacks, baskets etc also goes on the gear rack.
P7200001.jpg

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
thanks for your feedback folks.

I'm thinking of making a wooden folding table that accommodates a number of small plastic boxes underneath that act a bit like draws. That way, the table goes over the boxes giving us a surface inside the tent but with storage underneath which we can use to play cards, eat on etc

Then outside I have my normal folding table for food prep and cooking.

I think part of the problem was having two such deep boxes and shallower ones will do a better job.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I have a 4m bell tent and use clear plastic storage boxes which slot under the camping bed between the legs so minimise the space taken up. Keep stuff organised so one for plates mugs cuttlery etc, another for gas, knives, repair tape, torches etc and other for foodstuffs dead easy to see what's inside and access and keeps the tent organised :)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
homebase had a sale at the weekend, not sure if it is still on, which included the "Really Useful Box" brand there seem much stronger than normal ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE