One little man, one little boat, one little bag of kit and one huge state park

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
All my pics for this were taken on a mobile phone, imagine the shots she could get with a real camera and photography skills

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Funnily enough she's just ordered an upgrade to her existing camera... a Nikon 5300 with 100mm lens. I think I may be getting her old one... Panasonic DMC-FZ50... so thats a new toy to play with :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'd like a real camera but I already carry too many electic devices

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
A canoe or kayak is one of the best exploration toys i mean essential pieces of equipment an outdoorsperson can have at their disposal, even the half decent inflatable ones are awesome bits of kit that enable mad adventures to had

Well I've committed to a kayaking trip to the west coast of scotland next year, I'm going to get a sea kayak so I can use it on all waters. Many thanks for the inspiration and no doubt I'll make a trip report to share my experiences :D

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Cool stuff i'll keep an eye out for them. Paddling them is great, carrying them not so great so the trade off between weight and strength and storage space is the conundrum, i'd like to get my hands on a lighter one than i used for this venture.

Always good to get some training on using one too or get some serious hours of practice in on very safe waters before hitting the sea or big lochs, personally in this country i always wear a 5mm neoprene full wetsuit even in summer as getting tipped out in water below 5c can literally be life threatening, the big lochs are always a threat as they are so deep the water on the surface feels warm but below a few feet deep it is hypothermia temps

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Yeah I'm looking at one that weighs around 28kg at the moment which I think is light. I have plenty of time to shop around anyway. I lift weights regularly so as long as the portages aren't too long I should be ok (he says naively...:p). I think I should get some training as it's been about 10 years since I last kayaked and thanks for the advice on the wetsuit, I've got a summer one in the cupboard which by the sounds of it is going to be too thin...

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I have a short sleeve and short legged 3mm one which i use on really hot days when paddling down shallow rivers and it is perfect for that but i'd not use it on the deep lochs.

The kayak i used for this journey was 20 kilo and my kit was around 20 kilo including my food, that was definitely enough weight for me, was amazing how quick my arms turned to jelly after paddling all day.

I've been eyeing up some ultralight canoes as a possible future buy like this 8.1 kilo model and others from the same company

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
If you're paddling further north I'd say that the 5mm is the bare minimum. I tended to wear my dry suit as some of the deeper water sitting about a foot or so down in some lochs can be really cold. (That and I seemed to take unplanned swims at times. :rolleyes: )
Did get stuck in it one day paddling alone when the zip puller on the shoulder came off. A very hot drive home in the Landy in the middle of summer. Legs filling up with sweat and folks staring at the pervert driving in a rubber suit when I was sat at traffic lights.
But the water is cold enough to warrant full protection unless it's summer conditions.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Totally wise advice there, i am saving for a proper high quality dry suit, i wear 200gsm merino wool longjohns under my wetsuit as a rash guard and insulating layer. I can imagine how much you must have been suffering trapped in your drysuit :lmao:

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Thanks for the advice guys, 5mm minimum it is! Not sure how light I will need the kayak to be but I'm limited by budget. I think we'll be in the sea a lot of the time too and we plan to go late summer when the warmer currents (and the fish) are in so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The best baselayer I had for both dry and wet suit was the Buffalo like thermal liner for my German tank suit. Didn't hold water at all and pretty cosy.
Was soooo hot being trapped in my dry suit. Had to wait 'till my GF got home to get me out. Once she stopped giggling. Good way to loose weight though. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Part 1 of 4

[video=youtube;Dvtg_Z7n1L8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvtg_Z7n1L8[/video]

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
3 other episodes slowly uploading, for the first time in 5 years i wish i had a broadband internet connection, my only internet connection is by tethering my pc through my Samsung mobile phone, loading 1080p hd videos to Youtube via this takes around 6hrs for every 30 mins of video, in about 2 hrs time the next episode should be ready

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
3 other episodes slowly uploading, for the first time in 5 years i wish i had a broadband internet connection, my only internet connection is by tethering my pc through my Samsung mobile phone, loading 1080p hd videos to Youtube via this takes around 6hrs for every 30 mins of video, in about 2 hrs time the next episode should be ready

Enjoyed that! Nice Video, and write up. Look forward to the next installment of your adventure.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Part 2 of 4

[video=youtube;ZbF0X_UgFLo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbF0X_UgFLo&feature=yo utu.be[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Crackin' post Bod.

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Excellent video of a beautiful trip. I know it takes an age for you to upload but please believe me it's well worth it for the rest of us. I've re-read the thread a few times already and I reckon I'll be watching the videos a few times too.
Such a pity that the shelter system wouldn't work over here, think folk would trash them like they do a lot of the bothies.
I really hope that I get a chance to do a similar trip before it's clog popping time. Also nice to put a voice to the posts, I tend to read in the voice of the poster if I've met them (or watched them), I can now place your own voice in rather than the stock Geordie I was using. :eek:
You looked a happy bunny all the way through that, despite sunburn, pain and tiredness taking their toll it was ear to ear grins all the way.
looking forward to the next instalments.
ATB,
GB.

Crassy84

Forager
Oct 22, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
You did not dissapoint Sir! An absolutely fantastic report which has brought my well over due on my lunch break! What an experience that must have been, I tip my cap to you

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Really, really enjoyed both those videos and blimey do you have an infectious laugh! :D I was laughing every two minutes along with you... thankfully watching in my office, so nobody to wonder if I'm going nuts.

Looks like an amazing adventure and your written description was so good, it all feels familiar somehow.

Can't wait for the next installment :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE