Bushcraft - Survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Its the age old campfire discussion, and when the fire goes out, the answer is always the same.

Its up to you, your definition of survival is what you expect, likewise for bushcraft.

Its more important that if its your 'thing' to get out, do it and experience it.

As your experience and knowledge grows, your deifnations will change.

Strop

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
I often think the difference between bushcraft and survival is "the weather".

Harsh weather can push the most buschrafty individuals or communities into survival mode, from living happily on the land to digging in and waiting for rescue.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
1987: Gunman kills 14 in Hungerford rampage
A man has shot 14 people dead in the Berkshire town of Hungerford.
Police identified the gunman as Michael Ryan, 27.

Local people described him as a "loner" and a "gun fanatic".

Ryan was armed with an automatic rifle, a pistol and at least one hand grenade when he went on the rampage early on Wednesday afternoon.

His victims included his mother and a police officer who tried to tackle him in Hungerford which lies about 60 miles (96km) west of London.

At least 16 people are known to have been injured.

Ryan's first victim was a woman he shot dead as she picnicked with her two children in Savernake Forest about 10 miles (16km) from Hungerford.

Soon afterwards at 1245, an armed man - identified by witnesses as Ryan - fired at a woman cashier in a nearby petrol station but missed.

Less than 10 minutes later firefighters were called to a house fire in Hungerford where they found the body of a woman believed to be the gunman's mother.

'Fired without warning'

By 1300 Ryan had moved on to Hungerford's main shopping area where he fired indiscriminately killing at least 12 people.

Witnesses spoke of a heavily armed man in combat gear who opened fire without warning.

As police realised the seriousness of the incident armed officers and helicopters were rushed to the area.

But for much of the afternoon Ryan managed to evade the huge manhunt and was only later tracked down to a school on the outskirts of town.

The building is now surrounded by armed police and negotiators have been brought in to persuade the gunman to give himself up.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Kirruth said:

Harsh weather can push the most buschrafty individuals or communities into survival mode, from living happily on the land to digging in and waiting for rescue.

nope been Bushcrafting in God awful rain at the first North Meet, and am fairly sure we were all still bushcrafting :)

Strop

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland

Good point. :)

P.S. I somehow always manage to forget something...hence, the consecutive posts... :rolleyes:

Marko

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
The other thing about Micheal Ryan is that he was a former Air Cadet, just like the guy who got into the Palace and sat chatting to the police, they train them different today........I hope so anyway! :lmao:

LS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE