How to make and use a traditional sling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This chap talks about how he makes a very simple sling and he then shows a few throwing techniques. :)

[video=youtube;bEr85ZTqbcI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEr85ZTqbcI[/video]

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
From the article:
When in throwing range of wild game or an enemy, it is unlikely they will stay still while a two-legged predator stands and twirls a weapon in circles. The prey will likely be long-gone or the enemy may shoot long before any projectile can be slung.

This is the bit I find most interesting. When we played with slings as kids, we always made great show of the twirling part. But of course that's no use when you're trying to catch an animal by surprise. Interesting how real-world use modifies technique. In this case, the need to get a shot off with minimal movement beforehand.

Last edited:

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
Yeah, he refers to the book I'm reading at the moment, where the character (Ayla) seems to throw with very little unnecessary arm movement also.

Haggis

Nomad
I and a young uncle, from the leather and laces of an old set of work boots, made two of these when we were in our early teens. The power of the sling to throw a stone was truly unbelievable. I had read of them in the Bible, Judges 20:16 "Among all this people there were seven hundred chosen men lefthanded; every one could sling stones at an hair breadth, and not miss." We were both very poor shots, and we immediately attributed it to not being lefthanded.

MarvTommo

Forager
Feb 2, 2014
Sittingbourne
Made one from paracord last summer and tried with rocks at a cove near me. Works great!
u2e2ugej.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I am a mod over at slinging.org and a long time slinger and sling maker. Ask me anything!

The wife plaited me a couple of slings over the winter. Now, assume I'm a idiot, what safety considerations are there? Things like what's the safe distance to do it from people, live stock, stacks of priceless Ming vases etc. I know I could google it but it would be useful to have here, if you could.

Thanks!

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE