Luxe SilHexpeak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I got my Hex yesterday and first impressions are good. The changes over the Mini Peak address most of my (minor) reservations about that tent and I suspect those changes have been driven by user feedback via Podcast Bob. The prop for holding the vent open is quite rigid now and is attached permanently at one end meaning it can't be accidentally lost. The stitching all looks good (although I'll reserve final judgment on that until I've pitched it). The Hex is slightly lower than the MP but that means it can be pitched using one walking pole rather than having to join two together with the BPL adapter as was the case with the MP. The inner looks to be very spacious for one person and I can confirm that the mesh is very fine and should keep midgies at bay while the solid fabric lower walls of the inner should stop drafts and should also be lighter than mesh into the bargain. The pegs are a bit short and relatively heavy (I've substituted them for some Alpkit Ti pegs that I already had). The tent came with a tube of seam sealer included and I hope to proof the seams this weekend using that and an extra tube of Silnet I bought from BPL. This brings me onto a question for all you Silnylon veterans out there. As this is my first Sil shelter I was wondering whether to thin the seam sealer with white spirit or use it neat? Also the instructions hint that the seams should be sealed on the inside but my previous experiences of sealing normal nylon tents have always been to seal on the outside. Have I misunderstood the instructions or should the Hex be sealed inside? Cheers, Chris.

The issues you mentioned were addressed in the Sil-Minipeak :)

I havent got round to sealing mine yet but its been out in heavy rain and didnt seam to leak. Stitching is quite good quality.

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
Cheers guys, keep those seam sealing tips coming.:) Reading online it appears that butted seams should be sealed from the outside while lap felled seams should be sealed on the inside, not sure which type the Hex has until I've had a closer look.
ADz, I was intending buying a Sil-Minipeak until I saw the Hex but I thought that it still required the longer pole and had a full mesh inner? Neither of those would have been a deal breaker for me but I think I prefer the evolutions of the Hex (if I am indeed right about them). I've not seen any negative comments about any of the Minipeaks to be honest.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Copied this over from the TS thread:

...Seems like an age ago now, pretty sure the first time I sealed it I didn't thin it down, just got a small brush and daubed it on whilst pitched. I have resealed around the top and mitten hooks fairly recently though and that time I thinned it down, definitely made it easier to work with and get a neater result. Plus some say thinning it down allows it to soak in to the threads a little better meaning it's more efficient at proofing the seam so it's worth thinning it down a little I reckon.

If you can do it on a dry day so you can pitch it and apply the sealant whilst it's pitched, again I think this might help it get in to the seams and threads a little better, but then what do I know :)

Matt

As mentioned on there as well this link could be worth a look

Now let's see some photo's!

:)

Last edited:

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
Cheers for those links Mr Octagon!:You_Rock_ I'm not a regular on here (although I do know a couple of inmates) so hadn't read the TS thread. I actually came very close to ordering a TS but I think (hope) that this Hex thing should serve my purposes very nicely instead. I'll fire some pics up as soon as I manage to use the thing but I'm not sure when that will be with the current horrendo-weather! I'm going to seam seal it indoors as Shewie did with his TS.

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
Nice bit of kit that Chris, look forward to seeing it in the flesh one day
Yeah I have high hopes that it will solve my lightweight(ish) one man tent issue Rich, I've tried a few other solutions but not been entirely happy with them. All being well I can cut down from five tents to three now!:eek: Have you guys managed any trips this winter? I don't mind a bit of heavy weather but so far it's been beyond a joke and I have a load of new toys that remain untested! Soon though...........

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
So does anyone think it will be better than the Scarp 1:

https://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

It's certainly taller, which is great for putting on clothes etc, and it's cheaper which is, well, always better. But the Scarp 1 has rectangular corners rather than sloping corners so I wonder if there is more usable space around the head and feet of the user i.e. less claustrophobic. The other thing I worry about is footprint. If the Hexpeak is similar in footprint to the Minipeak it has a larger footprint. But it does have that nice big porch for cooking, storing or making access easier. Oh, I don't know! :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you guys managed any trips this winter? I don't mind a bit of heavy weather but so far it's been beyond a joke and I have a load of new toys that remain untested! Soon though...........

I've not been out in the boat since that week we had on Shiel in November mate, I've been pretty busy and that wind has meant any trips have been on foot. I think we're heading to Sween fairly soon, if it's still blowy though we'll hike in from the car park and base camp for a few days, I'll give you a shout when we sort a date out.

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
I've not been out in the boat since that week we had on Shiel in November mate, I've been pretty busy and that wind has meant any trips have been on foot. I think we're heading to Sween fairly soon, if it's still blowy though we'll hike in from the car park and base camp for a few days, I'll give you a shout when we sort a date out.
That'd be great Rich. I'm itching to get out again and I quite fancy trying bikepacking which the Sween/Knapdale area looks like it'd be good for if it were too windy to paddle.

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
So does anyone think it will be better than the Scarp 1:

https://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html

It's certainly taller, which is great for putting on clothes etc, and it's cheaper which is, well, always better. But the Scarp 1 has rectangular corners rather than sloping corners so I wonder if there is more usable space around the head and feet of the user i.e. less claustrophobic. The other thing I worry about is footprint. If the Hexpeak is similar in footprint to the Minipeak it has a larger footprint. But it does have that nice big porch for cooking, storing or making access easier. Oh, I don't know! :)
Spookily enough the Scarp 1 was on my shortlist as well. Once again they seem to have some great reviews but I think (hope) that the Hex will be a bit more comfy to live in even though the sloping walls make it less space efficient in some ways. As you say the price is a big draw as well and I love the simplicity of the single pole design. Time will tell I suppose. :)

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
Just a quick update. I sealed the seams on my Hexpeak last night. I wanted to do it using thinned seam sealer so I used white spirit for this task (as recommended). The seam sealer that comes with the tent isn't soluble in white spirit though (I suspected it wouldn't be as soon as I opened the tube and smelled the sealer), it may well work fine used neat but just a heads up for anyone contemplating this task. This wasn't a problem as I ordered a tube of Silnet as well when I bought the tent from BPL and the Silnet thinned really nicely. Applying it once thinned was easy and despite having a few runs and splashes, I'm happy enough with my effort. It seems to have penetrated well and I was able to really work it into the seams using a stiff brush. I also took the tent to work where we have some accurate scales and weighed it. The complete tent including the bag, compression strap, the BPL pole (in a borrowed Vango pole bag) and ten Ti V pegs and ten Ti nail pegs in the peg bag (which I don't intend carrying all of but had with me to sort through) weighed in at 1600g. The fly and inner, compression strap and the bag weighed just under 1200g so I'm very happy with that.

Jurassic

Dec 18, 2010
Helensburgh, Scotland
Good to know about the seam sealer. BTW see my mini review...you need 19 pegs! http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118413
Hmm, not exactly a glowing review! Further to the seam sealer provided, it smells like the sort of stuff you'd use on a conventional nylon tent or tarp and I wasn't sure if it was silicone based (which along with the thinning issue was why I used the Silnet).

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The pole failure reviewed on there apportioned to the effect on the HP by the wind appears to be operator error and overall the HP seems to have stood up well.

I think I would have looked for somewhere a little more level to pitch though! No wonder he woke early!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE