What have you learned recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
I've recently learn't that despite never having tackled (in both senses of the word) half a pig before it is possible to butcher it yourself and turn it into a myriad of tasty treats in just one weekend. :eek:

A first for me...:D

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I have learnt that working fourteen hour days (only eight of which are paid with no lunch break taken) for the last ten years, then having a nervous breakdown where you are off work for four months does not improve your promotion prospects!!!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have learnt that working fourteen hour days (only eight of which are paid with no lunch break taken) for the last ten years, then having a nervous breakdown where you are off work for four months does not improve your promotion prospects!!!

All too common now a days, modern living they call it. Hope your on the mend.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've learnt that a blowout in the outside lane at ??? Mph is also a great laxative. Oh yeah, the seats in my car are not sh1t proof and I must remember to wear goretex shreddies when late for work :)

Similar effect with the bonnet popping up and covering the windscreen in the outside lane of the motorway on a rainy evening. Driving in brail I called it. But boy what a great feeling when you stop alive and no-ones hurt.

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Really found out that this working for a living gets in the way of all my play time :)
But the evil need for money keeps me going back.

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
I recently learned that I have gallstones and carpal tunnel syndrome.

:(

thats not good for a stringmaker...

i had 2 hand ops for carpal tunnel, had them both done at the same time and its a miraculous operation, i would say dont hesitate once it has been defo identified as carpal tunnel.

if you use glucosamine at all for joints stop doing so becasue it exacerbates carpal tunnel. i cant comment on gall stones but shucks mate, sorry to hear that

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks both.

At the moment neither diagnosis is either debilitating or painful or restrictive. The GP has said that its up to me to be aware of my symptoms and go back to him if things change.

Gallstones can be managed via diet and it is possible that now I know about them I can avoid going under the knife. I'm not taking anything for the CTS so for now its a watching brief but I expect I'll have them done at some point.

The second thing I learned recently (already knew really) is that people are kind.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Learned recently:

Leather carving and tooling (basics but hope to learn more)
HTML markup language
CSS 2 and 3 (more web stuff)
jQuery (even more web stuff)
Trailhawk heads are hard to remove from trailhawk shafts (sore hands lol)

Dave

edit: oh and also the Turks head knot (Thanks Cliv)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I recently learned that I have gallstones and carpal tunnel syndrome.

:(
A folk remedy for gall stones that I have anecdotal good reports on is supping a servingspoon of olive oil and lemon juice every night ... it sorted my gut pains when I was under investigation and one possible cause was thought to be gall stones.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
A folk remedy for gall stones that I have anecdotal good reports on is supping a servingspoon of olive oil and lemon juice every night ... it sorted my gut pains when I was under investigation and one possible cause was thought to be gall stones.

Thanks John I had heard of that.

The medical sceptics say that what you end up passing is solidified olive oil instead of stones?

Other than the diagnosis I don't really have any symptoms now (no pain or discomfort), so I'll just try diet moderation but thanks again.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks John I had heard of that.

The medical sceptics say that what you end up passing is solidified olive oil instead of stones?

Other than the diagnosis I don't really have any symptoms now (no pain or discomfort), so I'll just try diet moderation but thanks again.
If your pains were like mine then I bet that you are glad they are gone!
Mine came on while I was leading an exped on Lake Volta in Ghana and I literally could not move ... I actually passed out with the pain at one point.
I was evacuated by canoe and Landrover over some of the worst roads in the world - and the tears were running down my face!
It was touch and go whether the Ghanaian Airforce was going to have to chopper me out but in the end the Landy forced a road through the bush with the medic acting as a road builder at times, filling holes and removing rocks that the Landy could not get past.
The only pain worse than that which I have experienced was Kidney stones causing renal colic - but that was a regular thing, putting me in hospital for pain control at least once a year.
I now take a herbal gloop which stops the kidney stones forming and no longer carry Pethadine in my wallet al the time.
I am a beliver in herbal medicine (propperly used by qualified practioners) as I have had good results for myself - results that modern medicine failed to deliver!
Get fully well soon mate!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE