Wilkinson sword Ray Mears Knife dilemma

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well I would have said go for John & Hoodoo's suggestion but not after you said that. :)

Go for the re-handle! :D
If you aint gonna sell it .... remake it to suit your grip!
Things only have a commercial value if you are going to flog 'em
Things only have a practical value if they get used
Things only have a sentimental value if you are attached to them :)
If you remove the existing scales carefully and save them then when you want to sell the knife you can slap 'em back on and still claim "RM knife - original scales" and in the meanwhile you will have a tool that fits you and that you are attached to!
Best of all worlds :)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
If you aint gonna sell it .... remake it to suit your grip!
Things only have a commercial value if you are going to flog 'em
Things only have a practical value if they get used
Things only have a sentimental value if you are attached to them :)
If you remove the existing scales carefully and save them then when you want to sell the knife you can slap 'em back on and still claim "RM knife - original scales" and in the meanwhile you will have a tool that fits you and that you are attached to!
Best of all worlds :)

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Mr Fenna!
:1244::1244:

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Now that's nice...is that a birch or a maple?

The scales on my knife are more like the bottom one i'm sure if they were more like the middle they would be fine.

That was curly birch and it darkened down nicely with age but honestly i think the micarta is better, the birch knife is long gone but i kept and used the micarta knife with the chunkiest scales.
I have owned several A.Wood versions but i prefer the micarta scaled WS knives.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I guess I must have been very lucky, my WS Woodie fits my hand absolutely perfectly. That's a result for a change!

Back to the OP's question, if it's a favourite then I think I'd rehandle it. Rapidboy has set the bar quite high though!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE