You guys have some very strange laws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
BR, .....guns and knives are two entirely different issues, and trying to conflate those into one, isn't changing anyone else's opinion on it.

Knives are in daily use in every household in the land; guns aren't.

M

Knives don't have to be in daily use. Food could be bought that's already been cut up by licensed professionals.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My point is there should be consistency. If you demand licencing laws for items used in violent crime, they should be applied even handedly to all such items, starting with the most commonly used. Whats wrong with that?

Among some biker gangs here, that's become a ball peen hammer.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can't have it both ways. If you want public opinion to be the basis for law, castle law is something that many surveys show the majority want. You either base your laws on logic, or public opinion, you can't choose one when it suits you and deny it when it doesn't suit.

Mince :) complete mince.
I can have it both ways. It's simple, it's those folks in Westminster again. Vote them in and they deal with it.
If that holds true, and it seems to hold more certainty that heritable jurisprudence, then the laws we have are those the majority are happy with.
Gun owners are a minority that is being given a licence to get a grip on their failings to self moderate their community effectively.

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BR, .....guns and knives are two entirely different issues, and trying to conflate those into one, isn't changing anyone else's opinion on it.

Knives are in daily use in every household in the land; guns aren't. We teach toddlers to eat with a fork and knife; we don't hand them a cut down shotgun and tell the little blighters to shoot thumper for his dinner :rolleyes: Mummy and Daddy go to the supermarket these days.

M

You don't shoot rabbits with cut down shotguns Mary. "Reductio ad absurdum" does not make a point. Most people in this country Do NOT carry knives in public - and much of the public opinion that you believe should be the basis of laws does not think one should be able to carry a knife in public.

What is it one of your politicians says?

"Carry a knife and go to jail"?

It is not a conflated issue, it is the same issue. Knives, guns and alcohol are all potential factors in violent crime. They are therefore linked and should be treated similarly.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Gun owners are a minority that is being given a licence to get a grip on their failings to self moderate their community effectively.

M

You mean the "legal" gun owners don't you. There are illegal gun owners (even there) and if you believe their numbers aren't going to increase, well, we'll see in a few years.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You really want to take the argument to its point of absolute absurdity don't you?

I thought y'all were supposed to be the masters of irony? Apparently not (or maybe you personally are more American than I am) The point is that the restrictions have already reached absurdity.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It is not a conflated issue, it is the same issue. Knives, guns and alcohol are all potential factors in violent crime. They are therefore linked and should be treated similarly.

Yes indeed they should. And the laws and punishments should be enacted with due consideration to all factors involved. If you walk down the oxford street with a machete strapped to your leg then you deserve what's coming to you. If you have a Swiss Army knife in your pocket then that's a different matter.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I thought y'all were supposed to be the masters of irony? Apparently not (or maybe you personally are more American than I am) The point is that the restrictions have already reached absurdity.

Really? It's soooo hard to buy and carry a gun for you? Just what is it that you're being denied that you think you shouldn't be?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Really? It's soooo hard to buy and carry a gun for you? Just what is it that you're being denied that you think you shouldn't be?

Carry? Yes. But only to an extent. I would prefer to be able to carry when traveling as well. I would also like to be able to carry an ordinary, standard capacity magazine. Due to the patchwork of current state laws, that's now always possible. The states where I would most need to carry are the very ones that don't recognize my Florida permit and place the abstract limits on magazine capacity. Hopefully the "reciprocity bill will eventually change that.

Likewise the bills currently being pushed by the anti-gun crowd would make it illegal to but a gun as a gift for a family member or friend.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You mean the "legal" gun owners don't you. There are illegal gun owners (even there) and if you believe their numbers aren't going to increase, well, we'll see in a few years.

The only people who are saying this to us are gunowners. Somehow their reasoning escapes us....how can unlicencing guns somehow make this any less of an issue ? How can it somehow stop those who shouldn't have access to a gun from acquiring one ?
If the criminals are gaining access to guns, they're getting them from somewhere.

Gun owning advocates need to see the wider picture and accept that even folks like me, who genuinely aren't anti gun ownership, aren't being convinced to remove the restrictions and licences.
They have no chance until they get rid of their anger and start rationally working to educate and to help encourage confidence by reporting those unlicenced guns that they all somehow seem to know are out there.....in growing numbers so they claim.
Yet gun crime rates are apparantly falling since licencing and restrictions took effect. Despite that after the widely reported incidents in Cumbria, etc., it was decided that heavier penalties would be applied to those who broke the law, and that licencing would be tightened up.
http://www.politics.co.uk/reference/gun-crime

There's the elephant in the room though; we can't discuss this without bringing in the politics of the situation.
Our lawmakers are politicians and the OP says we have strange laws :)

I'm off to bed; I'll report my post so that another Mod who hasn't been involved in the conversation can have a looksee.

atb,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The only people who are saying this to us are gunowners. Somehow their reasoning escapes us....how can unlicencing guns somehow make this any less of an issue ? How can it somehow stop those who shouldn't have access to a gun from acquiring one ?
If the criminals are gaining access to guns, they're getting them from somewhere....

It wouldn't stop the criminals from getting guns. See my above post about the illegal manufacture of guns (not yet a problem but it will be) What it would do is allow the legal gun owners a means of self protection.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Yet gun crime rates are apparantly falling since licencing and restrictions took effect. Despite that after the widely reported incidents in Cumbria, etc., it was decided that heavier penalties would be applied to those who broke the law, and that licencing would be tightened up.
http://www.politics.co.uk/reference/gun-crime

Likewise violent crime here has been steadily decreasing over the last 20 years even as gun laws have been eased and gun ownership has gone up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE