You guys have some very strange laws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
I was reading about someone wanting s 410 shotgun and then there was talk of putting a supressor on it.
Here in the States if we want to do a silencer of any type we have to go to the ATF fill out a long application and pay a $200.00 tax stamp.
Then there are your knife laws. Here we can carry just about any thing as long as it is not consealed. There are a few restrictions , like no switchblades and size limits in some areas. In the woods for open carry the sky is the limit from a small SAK to a full size katans if we choose. I understand that you all are restriced to certain blade lengths and a whole bunch of other things.
I guess each country is different but some of the laws get really strange.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
For every day carry, in case we might need a knife we can carry a non-locking, sub 3" bladed folding knife that must be readily foldable at all times. This is totally legal and fairly reasonable IMO. If we are at work, or in the woods and have "good reason" then there's no limit to what we can carry here either. I wouldn't take a katana to the woods or work because it's impractical, but I take any locking folder I want to as my work brings me into situations where a lock on the blade is required (tree inspections, piercing boxes or bags etc). I tend not to take a fixed blade to work, but always take one camping. So not that different really.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
For every day carry, in case we might need a knife we can carry a non-locking, sub 3" bladed folding knife that must be readily foldable at all times. This is totally legal and fairly reasonable IMO. If we are at work, or in the woods and have "good reason" then there's no limit to what we can carry here either. I wouldn't take a katana to the woods or work because it's impractical, but I take any locking folder I want to as my work brings me into situations where a lock on the blade is required (tree inspections, piercing boxes or bags etc). I tend not to take a fixed blade to work, but always take one camping. So not that different really.

I imagine it's mostly the subtleties in the way they're written that makes them seem more complicated. Different ways to say the same sort of thing.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was reading about someone wanting s 410 shotgun and then there was talk of putting a supressor on it.
Here in the States if we want to do a silencer of any type we have to go to the ATF fill out a long application and pay a $200.00 tax stamp....

The reason silencers are so regulated over here is even weirder. Most people here tend to think of a silencer as an assassin's tool now-a-days. But when the law was passed (the Gun Control Act of 1938) it had nothing to do with that; despite the myth that they were being used by the gangsters (they weren't) It was entirely because poachers were threatening entire populations of critters during the Depression while making it difficult or impossible for the game wardens to locate and arrest them.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
We call them sound moderators over here, and the law gets even more daft. You get mods that will fit on a .22 air rifle and you don't need a firearms cert for them (they are unlicensed) but if you want the very same mod to go on a .22 rimfire rifle you need to have a slot on your firearms cert and it's recorded.

Edit to add, I notice in some states of the US you have magazine restrictions but over here you can have unlimited sized mags, even daft 100 round jobs.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Here in the States if we want to do a silencer of any type we have to go to the ATF fill out a long application and pay a $200.00 tax stamp.
Then there are your knife laws. Here we can carry just about any thing as long as it is not consealed. There are a few restrictions , like no switchblades and size limits in some areas. In the woods for open carry the sky is the limit from a small SAK to a full size katans if we choose. I understand that you all are restriced to certain blade lengths and a whole bunch of other things.
I guess each country is different but some of the laws get really strange.

Capture.jpg

We can have kinder eggs all day long, but you poor fellas in the US can't as your Gov have banned them there.

Go figure.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Capture.jpg

We can have kinder eggs all day long, but you poor fellas in the US can't as your Gov have banned them there.

Go figure.

And this is likely why:

"In 2000, the parents of three children in the United Kingdom who died after choking on toys inside edible eggs campaigned for the products to be withdrawn from the European Union.[SUP][2][/SUP] Two children worldwide have died from choking on parts of the Kinder toy surprises a few days after they had eaten the chocolate egg; a third was attributed to another manufacturer’s product.[SUP][3] "[/SUP]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to confess though that it strikes me a bit strange that the children died from chokin days after eating the candy. I would have thought that the gearter danger would have been accidentally choking while eating the candy.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......Edit to add, I notice in some states of the US you have magazine restrictions but over here you can have unlimited sized mags, even daft 100 round jobs.

Yes. But you can't fire them in semi automatic mode. We can, without any special permission. And with the proper tax stamps (Class III) we can fire full auto.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gentlemen, we have a gentle guideline on images of firearms.....it goes like this;
If it could cause grief for someone who inadvertantly opened the thread in a public place, such as a school, college or library, put it into Fair Game. At least there they know to be aware of where they are and potentially what's on view.

The thread is being moved, and as ever, your understanding would be much appreciated.

cheers,
Toddy

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Curious why someone would pass comment on another countries laws? seems a rather troll like pastime to me

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yes. But you can't fire them in semi automatic mode. We can, without any special permission. And with the proper tax stamps (Class III) we can fire full auto.

I can't afford to or get hold of stuff as people in the US stockpile it whenever the President threatens to legislate.:lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE