Snugpak Elite 3 not very warm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I have a Snugpak Elite 3 sleeping bag.

"Comfort temperature rating -5DegC"?

I used it in August and it did not feel as warm as I might have expected.

I used it for camping this weekend.

It was around 1-2Deg and damp, then down to 0DegC on the first night, and slightly warmer, but more damp/misty on the second night. I was in a small tent.

The first night I got into my sleeping bag in a shirt, thick wool jumper and long johns.

I was cold, so I added a Snugpak Jungle Blanket XL. I was only *just about* warm enough/a bit cold, but it was certainly not "snug".

The second night, I put my sleeping bag in a Goretex bivvi bag under the Jungle blanket and wore two thick wool jumpers. I was comfortable.

I have to say that I'm a little underwhelmed by the Elite 3. Any temperature claims must assume that the user is also wearing a softie jacket and trousers.

Until recently, I had been using a very old (c.1970) down Blacks sleeping bag that was my Dad's, which was impressively warm when I used for winter and Alpine mountaineering 20+ years ago, although it has now deteriorated -I suspect that it would still be warmer than the Elite 3.

We have some 30quid Argos sleeping bags that are a bit more bulky, but that I suspect are at least as warm as the Elite 3.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I think that the Snugpak ratings are optimistic but it’s a difficult assessment as I’m at an age where I have to knock off nearly two seasons and I tend to double up on the insulation beneath me.
My Chrysalis 5 season is a good three season for me (and bulky). I use a pod as my lower insulation and pull that around the Chrysalis when I get frost on the tent.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Umm, you should have been fine in that bag at temp, especially with the other blanket over it. I am surprised. it might be worth dropping snugpak a line, they're usually good.

Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I have found Snugpak very approachable. The Chinese made Chrysalis series was an error with a known zip issue. They were prompt to fix mine

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
For some reason Snugpak does not appear to use the existing EN/ISO standard but uses their own. From their pages one can assume that it is based on surrounding air temp and ground insulation is assumed adequate. There is the usual caveat that people differ and so on ...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Something that hasn't been discussed is what sleeping pad the OP. For me a quality sleep pad with good ground insulation often makes a massive difference to warmth.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I think that is taken as a given when rating a sleeping bag.
Ratings are based upon a young, healthy male (ladies apparently sleep cooler - I’m informed). It also presumes that the sleeper wears a base layer including socks and a science defying “total insulation from the ground or ice wall”!!!!

In my early camping days I was more likely to be cold from underneath than above.

Ratings really tumble once you get over 60.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
For context: I'm a 46 year old male, in good health. I am lean and fit, having far less fat than the typical UK male. I possibly feel the cold more than I did at 21.

I was using a Decathlon "therma-rest" type mat.

I have camped and bivvied a fair amount over the years.

The bag was bought second hand -barely used, it looked brand new. It did smell of washing powder.

It was probably sold on because it wasn't very warm.....

I am about to wash the bag with soap flakes and tumble dry it. This may or may not increase the loft.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
For some reason Snugpak does not appear to use the existing EN/ISO standard but uses their own. From their pages one can assume that it is based on surrounding air temp and ground insulation is assumed adequate. There is the usual caveat that people differ and so on ...
Their bags presumably do not measure up very well to the EN/ISO standard.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Some of us sleep hot or cold so it depends on our bodies. I have the old snugpak Merlin which I think this is, with a centre zip and yes I feel the same but I like it because it’s small, light I wear a softie as well in the bag and I can join the thicker sleeping bag version to it. Used it a lot in the army because I was the signaller so had little room in the Bergen.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I’ve used Snugpak bags for 25 years and the ratings have always been optimistic IMO. I do like the brand and think the products are good quality but the ratings are off.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Falstaff

Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
Snugpak are getting a deserved bad name for their ratings even on You tube - When younger I bought, and still have, a Snugpac 10 for a Canadian trip- rubbish, cold even when on a bunk bed. It rarely gets used and only in summer where a decent bag might get damaged.
Curiously their old ex-army reversible jacket is nice and warm, and packs down to nowt.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Indeed, British made Snugpaks are excellent quality and perform well. It’s the label that is wrong.
I don’t know how they would adopt the international standard without raising thousands of complaints from existing customers.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Is it the quality of the insulation that is the issue?

Insulation is a fairly well-known science and sleeping bags have been made and used for a very long time.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Is it the quality of the insulation that is the issue?

Insulation is a fairly well-known science and sleeping bags have been made and used for a very long time.
Nothing wrong with the quality of insulation in my opinion. I think they just use false information to sell products (perhaps unintentionally). I use a Nautilus for bunkhouses etc - the design is clearly for non serious use but it is rated for comfort at 3*c whereas I would rate comfort in the bag at about 10 - 15*c. Perhaps when buying Snugpak add 10*c to give a ball park comfort rating to what is advertised.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
The bag was bought second hand -barely used, it looked brand new. It did smell of washing powder.
Just a thought, could be the previous owner washed the bag in too high a temperature, which will damage the polyester filling & so knacker any insulation properties it once had.
Sleeping bags with technical® fillings, shouldn't be washed too often anyway, which is where liners come into play.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE