You guys have some very strange laws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
425615_10151180976846275_7660547_n.jpg

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
i didn't realise an argument was being had mate. we were generally talking about the different laws in our respective countries. a subject that i always find interesting

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
To the relief of all and in particular Toddy, I'll just say ( rearrange at your leisure ) - not I'm touch going barge to with a pole! ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Actually untrue. 90 some odd percent of those were not school shootings. Rather they were gang related and off campus. And the ones that were on campus include the criminal in the numbers as if they were victims.Just more political spin. But then again, it is from John Oliver and The Daily Show, so par for the course.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Just elaborating on why I think our gun laws make more sense.

comparing any aspect of the law from two different countries will always end the same way......parts of it will makes more sense than your own and other parts will be completely bonkers

if only we could cherry pick the most sensible ones eh

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Weird isn't it, you lot can have many types of guns but you try getting hold of a decent petrol can since the CARB compliant laws came out.

Over here we can just buy a petrol can and not worry about it.

You say hood we say bonnet, you say fender we say mudguard, you say wristpin we say gudgeon pin. Lets not even get into the whole Aluminium/Aluminum debate.

Haggis

Nomad
I suppose my mental weaknesses are causing me to chime in, but here goes. I'm a gun owner. I carry a pistol or revolver at all times here in the States. Then again, I really enjoy traveling in France and Scotland and knowing I do not need to carry a gun, and I really enjoy seeing police officers in Scotland walking the streets without a sidearm, and knowing they aren't likely to need one. If you were to ask this gun owner, gun carrier what I think, I'd tell you I like the countries where guns are far less common, perhaps even nonexistent.

As for different laws in different places; the U.S. of A. has 50 states, and state laws can be very different from state to state. It seems entirely logical that laws will vary from country to country, and these differences are part of what gives a place its charm, or perhaps a reason to avoid it.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Sorry folks, I didn't mean to cause any grief in this post. I was just commenting on some differences in the firearms and knife laws between the two countrys.
I would imagine that it would be the same all over the world restrictions on this and that or no restrictions at all.
Guess we would all have different reactions to different things.
Again sorry if I sturred up a hornets nest.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Weird isn't it, you lot can have many types of guns but you try getting hold of a decent petrol can since the CARB compliant laws came out.

Over here we can just buy a petrol can and not worry about it......

I'm a little confused about this one. I still see all the same gas cans I've always seen. From the cheap plastic half gallon ones up to the 5 gallon metal Jerry Cans. And I know a few people who store gasoline (unwisely, but legally) in 55 gallon metal drums at their homes to fuel generators after a hurricane.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To the relief of all and in particular Toddy, I'll just say ( rearrange at your leisure ) - not I'm touch going barge to with a pole! ;)

You said it :D :D

Balance is a very good thing; and I think that the conversation is trying for it. Haggis' point about there being 50 states in USA makes for understanding too....think fifty different countries all with their own laws, and all trying to co-exist under another set of overarching laws.

Oi! zornt!...it's not us who has the weird laws, it's your lot that does :)

cheers,
Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry folks, I didn't mean to cause any grief in this post. I was just commenting on some differences in the firearms and knife laws between the two countrys.
I would imagine that it would be the same all over the world restrictions on this and that or no restrictions at all.
Guess we would all have different reactions to different things.
Again sorry if I sturred up a hornets nest.

You weren't the first, and I seriously doubt you'll be the last.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You said it :D :D

Balance is a very good thing; and I think that the conversation is trying for it. Haggis' point about there being 50 states in USA makes for understanding too....think fifty different countries all with their own laws, and all trying to co-exist under another set of overarching laws.

Oi! zornt!...it's not us who has the weird laws, it's your lot that does :)

cheers,
Toddy

50 states plus an additional 4 territories and the District of Columbia.

And in some cases I agree with you regarding our laws being the weird ones (or even the overly restrictive ones) Especially regarding foods.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm a little confused about this one. I still see all the same gas cans I've always seen. From the cheap plastic half gallon ones up to the 5 gallon metal Jerry Cans. And I know a few people who store gasoline (unwisely, but legally) in 55 gallon metal drums at their homes to fuel generators after a hurricane.

I'm just relaying the info I got from being on arboristsite. Seems that there's a problem getting cans that don't have some weird form of pouring spout.
It came up on a thread where they wanted a Stihl combi can which for some reason is not allowed in the US.
As mentioned on THIS thread.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm just relaying the info I got from being on arboristsite. Seems that there's a problem getting cans that don't have some weird form of pouring spout.
It came up on a thread where they wanted a Stihl combi can which for some reason is not allowed in the US.
As mentioned on THIS thread.

Ahhh. Thanks. Yes, all cans have a pouring spout now. I never knew it was a law, but TBH I'm glad to have them. They certainly have eliminated a lot of spills.

I say "ALL" but that's not completely true. The very small ones (pint or there-a-bouts) that you'd use to carry white gas for your lanterns or stoves don't have them.

But I'm still a bit confused. The Stihl can you linked does indeed have the pouring spout?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I suppose my mental weaknesses are causing me to chime in, but here goes. I'm a gun owner. I carry a pistol or revolver at all times here in the States. Then again, I really enjoy traveling in France and Scotland and knowing I do not need to carry a gun, and I really enjoy seeing police officers in Scotland walking the streets without a sidearm, and knowing they aren't likely to need one. If you were to ask this gun owner, gun carrier what I think, I'd tell you I like the countries where guns are far less common, perhaps even nonexistent.

As for different laws in different places; the U.S. of A. has 50 states, and state laws can be very different from state to state. It seems entirely logical that laws will vary from country to country, and these differences are part of what gives a place its charm, or perhaps a reason to avoid it.

thats another thing i find interesting.
the range of laws between different states. as a biker i find it with helmets emmissions and such like too.
i'v always said america is too bloody big to be one country lol...its really hard to get yer head around the true scale of the place. words like big, massive, colossal, they even come close

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE