SOG hunter revolver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Stew said:
Erm, I think Toddy still wants to have a try with this just later down the list.

Robbie - the spoon is essentially finished. Needs to dry and have a bit of a sand. I'll post a picture when I have time.

p.s. I did notice the hidden stop.

So Lithril to Toddy then.

I have been thinking about ultimately changing the blade by taking the gut-hook off. I did notice that this would effectively render the hidden stop useless as the shorter blade tip would clear it. So it would rely on the main locking pin only.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
looking at the sog website, if you dislike the gut hook, why not get the seal revolver? (although it has a part serrated blade which i'm not a great fan of)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
not really, it depends on what you dislike most. the serrations or the gut hook. i suspect that it's easier to remove the serrations.

T

theorsmeister

Nice review, very comprehensive,

My main problem would be the constant worry that when cutting I would get a saw stuck in my hand and when sawing (possible more vigorous) that I would cut open my hand with the blade, after noticing the movement and the securing pin moving about I would probably put it down, or only use it to cut up dinner, and that is at a push.

How strong is the lock, because I reckon after time and time again of batonning and heavy sawing it could weaken (metal fatigue) everything weakens eventually and when it does you are in trouble.

How strong is it? Would you recommend it as a safe tool?

By the way, I though they did a drop point bladed one, (i may be wrong).

Good review though, and if you think it is gonna hold, fine, also why did you get a gut hook blade if you dont ever have to cut open large animals? or is that the only one you could find.

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Theorsmeister, If you don't mind, I would like to respond to some of your questions and statements about the Revolver knife.

You wrote: My main problem would be the constant worry that when cutting I would get a saw stuck in my hand and when sawing (possible more vigorous) that I would cut open my hand with the blade, after noticing the movement and the securing pin moving about I would probably put it down, or only use it to cut up dinner, and that is at a push.

My response: How do you get the saw to "rise up" out of the handle if the pressure you are exerting from cutting is causing the saw blade to be pushed downward, where the bottom edge is blunt ? :confused:

The locking pin has a slight amount of movement which is normal because it is called a "floating pin". Any knife in the world that is batoned takes a beating... :rolleyes: imagine what a knife with a lock pin to secure the blade goes through, we never said it could be batoned day after day. But it can (and has) cut and sawed day after day, for several years now.

You ask: How strong is it? Would you recommend it as a safe tool?

My response, it is very strong for cutting and sawing, it will do this all day long, with the best of them.

It's not a miracle super tool, but it will work as hard as any 4 or 5 inch knife in the world........IMO.

Robbie Roberson ;)

T

theorsmeister

Oh, I didnt no that is how the knife rotates, soz!!

I would still be a little scared of getting hurt, but if u say so,

sorry for jumpin to conclusion m8!!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
theorsmeister said:
Oh, I didnt no that is how the knife rotates, soz!!

I would still be a little scared of getting hurt, but if u say so,

sorry for jumpin to conclusion m8!!

a good tip is to read the whole thread... this learned from experience of many foot in mouth accidents myself :rolleyes:

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
It's really ok, I'm used to a certain amount of negative response, It is easy to misunderstand just by looking at pictures, happens all the time.

I have cut the crap out of my fingers many times in over two years . But not one cut has been because of failure of any mechanical part on the Revolver.

Just failure for me to watch what I was doing while working with sharp blades. :rolleyes:

It's fairly new, thats why it's hard for some to accept and understand. After 5 years of show and tell (including showing protos), I have come to realize that most people like the idea of the Revolver, then they like it even more after they used it because it really works.

I don't think anyone sticks foot in mouth, I just think they voice opinions, and I am keeping track of these ideas and opinions through several pages of forum responses. I plan to approach SOG with a bunch of new ideas and blade suggestions about the Revolver knife after testing/reviews are complete.

Thanks a bunch for your help and input concerning the Revolver.

Robbie Roberson ;)

T

theorsmeister

I didnt mean to offend you Robbie,

I was just asking if it is guarenteed safe.

I am something of a sceptic, but I am considering buying one and did when I first read a review in Gun Mart mag.

Btw, Marts, cud u bring it along to the Summer meet in south Wales.

I wud like to have a look, if u dont mind, I would quite like to buy one and if u got yours for £45, i would consider it coz that is a good price, I am sure Gun Mart sed they were £85!!!

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
You did not come close to offending me........ :D Really.

I am used to questions or comments about function, usefullness and safety.

No it's not written "guaranteed safe",..... are there any knives that are ? I don't think there is a knife in the world that has mechanical parts, states that any function, locks, folding or otherwise is risk free from any form of failure.

The knife is very safe to cut and saw with all day long, and has done so for over two years. You would not be dissapointed at all if you tried one, it works very well.

Robbie Roberson ;)

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Hey folks, I thought I would bring this back up for the weekend. :)

I will leave this thread alone after this :) ,

Did anyone else on Marts list get to try the Hunter Revolver ? If so, anyone else have anything to add to the final grade of the Hunter just for my personal notes ?

I just wondered how the others liked it, and thanks to those who took time to review it. Wish I could have provided Revolvers for everyone to try.... :D

Over all, my impressions of the reviews here in UK, at least by what was written was this...........most liked the Hunter more than they thought they would, most seem to have no complaints about the way the knife worked or performed.

No one seemed to care for the gut hook blade design :( (sorry). And a few did not care for the handles.

If I am incorrect in these assumptions, please let me know. I sincerely appreciate the chance to show the Revolver to some of you, and I sincerely thank Marts for providing the Revolver for everyone to try.

If I can ever be of help in any way concerning the Revolver or SOG knives, please don't hesitate to contact me by email anytime. I will be here on the forums quite often reading and enjoying your threads, thanks again.

Robbie Roberson ;)
Inventor of the SOG SEAL Revolver.
Robbierob600@chartertn.net

Robbie Roberson said:
Hey folks, I thought I would bring this back up for the weekend. :)

I will leave this thread alone after this :) ,

Did anyone else on Marts list get to try the Hunter Revolver ? If so, anyone else have anything to add to the final grade of the Hunter just for my personal notes ?

I just wondered how the others liked it, and thanks to those who took time to review it. Wish I could have provided Revolvers for everyone to try.... :D

Over all, my impressions of the reviews here in UK, at least by what was written was this...........most liked the Hunter more than they thought they would, most seem to have no complaints about the way the knife worked or performed.

No one seemed to care for the gut hook blade design :( (sorry). And a few did not care for the handles.

If I am incorrect in these assumptions, please let me know. I sincerely appreciate the chance to show the Revolver to some of you, and I sincerely thank Marts for providing the Revolver for everyone to try.

If I can ever be of help in any way concerning the Revolver or SOG knives, please don't hesitate to contact me by email anytime. I will be here on the forums quite often reading and enjoying your threads, thanks again.

Robbie Roberson ;)
Inventor of the SOG SEAL Revolver.
Robbierob600@chartertn.net
Sorry about this guys, I still have itbut I've been a bit ill (Trust me you don't want to know :eek: ) which is why I haven't been able to get to the post office. I'm better now but working today so I'll get it in the post on Monday.

I would agree with the conlusions you are drawing Robbie, although I find the size of the handles to be just about right but then I have got big hands. If I was to design a MK2 if you like, the only changes I would make would be to lose the gut hook and have a drop point blade. My other change would be the addition of a detent ball the same as on a folding knife which would be just enough to stop the blade hitting the locking pin and rolling the edge. This is I have to say (For me at least) the biggest problem with this knife as in normal use it's something that I feel would happen on a regular basis and a detent ball set to stop the blade just before it hits the pin would at least stop it 90% of the time.

The saw blade works surprisingly well compared to my longer folding saw. The shorter blade isn't really a problem once you get used to it, especially as before I got a folding saw I used to use the saw blade on my Leatherman Wave all the time.

The knife feels like the usual SOG quality and does feel like it could withstand some punishment although I wouldn't feel confident battoning with it, but then I have both larger knives and an axe should I ever need to split larger stuff

Many thanks to Mart for the passaround and to Robbie for taking such an active roll in the discussions and again, my apologies for the delay.

P.S. it the first time for ages I've seen a knife in a leather sheath that actually smells of leather and not chemicals :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE