SOG hunter revolver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Robbie Roberson said:
Yes, pretty big.........I mean big enough to scoop a bunch of beans out of a pot.........pretty fast. :rolleyes:

Will this be big enough? :cool:

RevolverSpoon.jpg

It took a while to get to this stage. It still needs "refining" but you get the idea of what it'll end up like!

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Gosh ! That is a really big spoon.................... :D

Perfect size for my big mouth my wife says........... :rolleyes:

That will make a wonderful spoon, now you have me wanting to try one.......... :cool:

Robbie Roberson ;)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Ok,

one it's way to MBM RMSD.

Why not Andy? - He declined as he doesn't feel he could contribute anything. Does this mean there's another space?
Why not Toddy? - she's a bit swamped withloan knives so would like to try it later on.

Thoughts:

It was nice to use a thick bladed pull saw for a change. Although you shouldn't need a thick stock on a pull saw due to the nature of the stroke, it happens every now and then that the blade snags as you're pshing forward and the blade bends. This isn't going to happen with the revolver.

The blade was a good size and cut very well but I didn't feel I could use it to it's full potential because of the gut hook. I couldn't choke up on it right or push with my thumb.

The mechanism itself was obviously very secure yet although it didn't release by mistake, I still couldn't trust it fully at the end. Maybe the slight rattle didn't help to remove my fears. Thinking about it now, it would only be a problem if the mechanism released while you were using the knife as in the other config, the blade points to the centre of the handle.

The other annoying thing is that the blade has a slight roll on the edge where it has come into contact with the locking pin.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it compared to how much I thought I would hate it. I'm not fully convinced yet but if I had only one tool with me, this would be acceptable.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
If theres any spare places, I'd be very interested in having a look, like you Stew I'm still fairly scepticle at the thought of a blade edge just below my hand in the handle.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Lithril said:
If theres any spare places, I'd be very interested in having a look, like you Stew I'm still fairly scepticle at the thought of a blade edge just below my hand in the handle.

Why not.

So if MBM wants to send it on to Lithril when he's done and then unless there's anyone else it can come back to me from Lithril.
:)

Marts said:
Why not.

So if MBM wants to send it on to Lithril when he's done and then unless there's anyone else it can come back to me from Lithril.
Looking forward to having a play with this. Innovative designs can always be a bit worrying so it's nice to get the chance to see how it will compare to my folding saw and knives :D

If Lithril pms me his addy it would be usfefull in a week or so :D

EDIT - Having said that, I'll be in Southampton next weekend, could always arrange a hnadover rather than trust the post :D

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Stew, Thank you for the time spent, hope you got the spoon done :D

The blade shape/design seems to be the main overall concern so far in reviewing the Revolver.

The mechanics of this knife are hard to explain, even though it's really simple. The lock pin is called a "Floating" pin, which means it has to move a very slight amount to lock/unlock the blade.

Did you notice the hidden stop in the handle ? It will never allow the blade to rotate down. This combined with the lock pin makes the blade very secure.

Both blades are " blunt " on the bottom sides, the sides that would come in contact with your hand if you were pushing down and a blade edge could come down.

The slight roll on the blade edge happened when someone did not "depress" the lock pin to allow the blade to enter the handles, instead, the blade edge hit the lock pin. :D

The slight roll can be removed in about 1 minute or less with a ceramic rod. It is usually about the size of a pin head if contact is made with blade.

I think this knife will hang right with you, this knife will cut a saw all day long.

I ask a lot more out of this knife than I do any of my other knives.

Thank you again for your positive remarks, I appreciate knowing these things. I am glad you liked it more than you thought you would.

Robbie Roberson ;)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Marts said:
Why not.

Wasn't I in the list somewhere? :(

Cheers

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It's OK, send to Lithril first as it's been organised, I'm not worried.
I just don't want to miss out completely :(

Cheers

Mark

Arrived safe and sound today. First impressions are the usual SOG quality feel, a very substantial sheath and a saw blade much more silid that I was expecting. Initial concerns about the rattle dissapeared as I held the knife in a way that I would use it and everything tightened up, but I do forsee problems with the blade hitting the pin by accident.

I'll post more once I've had a play and then on to Buckshot

Cheers guys :D

EDIT - I'm guessing Shrek's hands are about as big as mine as I find the handle very comfy indeed :D

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Erm, I think Toddy still wants to have a try with this just later down the list.

Robbie - the spoon is essentially finished. Needs to dry and have a bit of a sand. I'll post a picture when I have time.

p.s. I did notice the hidden stop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE