SOG hunter revolver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Marts,.... first let me say you really scared me for a minute :eek: , I thought that one pic. was a crack :eek: ........ now I realize it is not :D , most switches are perfectly flush with the handle, but occasionally I will see one with a very slight rise it the Zytel switch.

I have to say I am amazed at the quality pics you took!!~ :) , some of the best I have ever seen, I can't wait to tell SOG about this, they will love the pics too I'm sure.

I'll say a lot more later, thank you for your time, energy and a top notch review. (Gosh, that is a great spoon !)

Robbie Roberson ;)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Ditto that MBM - well done Marts.

I must say, although I would have a use for a gut hook for deer, I personally don't like or use them. They're not needed, weaken the blade and can be a pain to sharpen. I think they're more of a gimmic than anything else. I can see that in 10 years time, no knife blade will have gut hooks built in.

No offence Robbie :D

I will be waiting with baited breath for a play with it though :)

Cheers

Mark

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Buckshot, none taken :) hey, I am happy he liked the overall concept and potential, that is all I hoped for. More than anything, I just want people to give it a chance.

I agree on the opinions of blade designs, thats no different than the clothes we wear, everyone has a favorite. The most important thing about this knife that I hope is realized is that it is a workable design, that could be used as a primary or secondary outdoor tool, or addition to other tools.

With the carry weight and working capabilities of this knife, I think it makes a great outdoor tool.

I do however want to emphasis that the knife was not designed for batoning. It was designed for sawing and cutting, all in one knife, the design of this knife is perfect for those two jobs.

This I think was mentioned by Marts when he said it was pretty well all the Revolver or any equal sized knife would be able to do. The Revolver will cut and saw with complete reliablity all day, day after day.

The whole point and design concept for this knife is to provide a lightweight knife and saw that will saw smaller sized trees for shelter making and then smaller diameter poles for anything else needed, and at the same time privide a very usable knife blade. I think Marts did an excellent job comparing the tools, which I think showed that the Revolver can at least hold it's own with comparable sized saws and blades.

Marts, thanks again for such a good review, pics are great too. :)

Robbie Roberson ;)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
wow!

i was expecting to hear some negative comments on the wood carving front. all the sogs i've ever had, have had pretty steep bevels makining them pretty poor woodworkers.

good review :cool:

cheers,and.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
sargey said:
wow!

i was expecting to hear some negative comments on the wood carving front. all the sogs i've ever had, have had pretty steep bevels makining them pretty poor woodworkers.

good review :cool:

cheers,and.

And you may well get them from some of the other testers - I'm afraid I'm not experienced enough a carver to be the best judge of this Sargey. That being said I didn't notice much difference in carving (with the exception of the bowl) from using a Mora

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I have had a series of playtimes with this knife/saw and here follows my personal appraisal and opinion.

First impressions;- :eek: :eek: Rambos EDC
When I first looked at it,I thought it was dog ugly.This is still an opinion I uphold.It looks too military for my personal taste.It also has plastic handles.Its a high tech, high performance plastic called zytel,but in plain English its still plastic.It was also big enough for shrek to use and made my hand look small.
The knife blade is a bizare shape following the contours of the finger grooves in the handle so as to fit flush when it is rotated to become a saw. It also has a gut hook which is not needed unless you are slaughtering lots of animals which also contributes to make it an even uglier shaped blade.
The knife is however surprisingly light in weight at only 6oz.
It was mostly sharp as I recieved it and was hair popping after a couple of strops.
I tested the saw end first and the action of the revolver was smooth and the lock positive when I swivelled the blade to the saw end. The saw worked well on branches upto about 2" (50mm) and I sawed through a variety of timber including Cypress,hazel,birch and hawthorn as well as a couple of well seasoned apple branches about 3" thick.Which proved a bit tougher and caused me to sweat.
The saw was flawless in performance although the shortish blade meant some effort was required.I also used the saw to make the cuts for a large figure 4 trap mechanism.It was clean cutting and accurate to use. I rated it quite highly and would be happy to use it to make a leaf shelter or cut poles for a camp.
The next stage of testing was the sharp end which is 6" long and sharp.I found the guthook was good for opening hay and straw bales but the cutting edge would also do that.As the blade was long by my standards i decided to cut down a few square metres of nettles as you do when making cordage or thatching a shelter.It was great at this.Little weight meant that the Knife needed swinging and the edge stayed sharp and cut through with little effort.The knife is flat ground with a secondary bevel.it sliced and diced in the kitchen pretty well and was good on feather sticks and sharpening sticks.
Carving a spoon,as Marts attempted was as task too far for me as I tried to choke up on the blade and in order to get control of the tip of the knife I had my entire hand on the blade.Sharp and dodgy!
The concept of this tool is superb and works faultlessly but I would want to see a 4" plain drop or spearpoint blade on it.
If it were mine I would convex the blade profile.I would also change the plastic handles, which make a good tool look cheap.
I would be happy to be lost in the woods with just this tool as it does function very well despite its military background and poor aestetics.

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Bushwacker Bob, what a nice and very funny review :D ...."Dog ugly" and shreks knife.......... :) .

OK, it is probably not very pretty to some, and the handles are a type of high performance plastic, (fiber glass reinforced) :cool: .

Not sure about Rambo though :rolleyes: , he may not like the gut hook either. ;)

Thank you for the great compliments on the performance.

This comment made my day ! " The concept of this tool is superb and works faultlessly.........."

That is all I ever wanted, a good working useful knife, even if it is "Dog Ugly". :p

Thanks so much for your time and effort.

One last question, just how big are Shreks hands ? ;)

Robbie Roberson :)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Did anyone try it with a ferro rod ?
I was playing with my seal revolver and found that the back of the saw gave a very impressive display - put it this way, it melted through my tracki bottoms, and i wasn't even aiming there ! :eek: . The back of the knife blade, however, rounded off. :confused:

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Innocent bystander, Bushwacker bob, please explain what you are doing so I can pass this along to SOG. :eek:

I take it you are using the saw teeth ? Or the back of the saw ?

Does it spark better than average or as good as most ?

Robbie Roberson ;)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Hey Robbie, using the back of the saw blade you get the mother of all fireballs. Like i said it went through my tracksuit bottoms, and i wasn't even aiming at them !!!!! :eek: Now that's a good thing if you want to start a fire. :D A1 i would say.

With the main blade, it started well, but i am positive the edge of the spine of the blade rounded slightly, which probably ain't the best thing. After so many strikes (don't know how many), it'll get harder to get a spark. But with the back of the saw doing so well, it isn't to big a problem... :D :D :D I'll just use the back of the saw....

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
WOW ! :eek: Very good info. and very good to know. I had never tried that.........all this time of using and doing things with the Revolver..... :eek:

As soon as I get a chance I am going to try it myself. Thanks so much for the information.

Now if we can figure out how to make a spoon with the Revolver :rolleyes:

Robbie Roberson ;)

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Robbie Roberson said:
Now if we can figure out how to make a spoon with the Revolver :rolleyes:

Robbie Roberson ;)

Shorten the blade and ditch the gut hook...and straighten the spine :D

I used the back of the blade end, in the main dip of the roller coaster back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE