SOG hunter revolver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
First impressions then...
It rattles :eek: A little unerving, and if I hadn't read that it's supposed to do that by Robbie I'd have been more worried.
The action is lovely and smooth. The blade rotates round with no bind or force needed. I like the way the back of the blade is contored to match the handle grooves as well
I'm not really a fan of sheaths that have poppers, especially when there are two straps to find and locate to pop together. I did find it a little more difficult to resheath the knife because the hole in the sheath is only just wider than the blade. Having said that I agree it's nice leather and smells like leather too.
I wasn't planning on doing much with it last night but in the end I had to split a seasoned 1.5 inch diameter 6 foot hazle branch into quarters.
It managed it with no problems, battoning it down and then twisting the knife to split it further. The blade is deep enough to be able to be able to just about get enough bend on the stick to controll the split from wandering too far.
It was still sharp enough to create some nice feather sticks after I'd done that as well.
Haven't tried the saw yet but watch this space !!!

I'll write up something more when I've played some more...

Cheers

Mark

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Buckshot, you might try a 5/64 allen wrench on the right side pivot, insert and hold thumb on left side pivot with firm pressure. If it does not tighten freely and easily, stop, don't try anymore. The Revolvers pivot is designed to be adjusted/tightened if needed, (done at factory) but SOG uses some sort of loctite on screws so this sometimes is a little harder to do at home.

My Revolvers, after 2 years of use have been snugged/tightened about 2 times. Sometimes (especially since having been used for batoning) :eek: the pivot may need a little tightening, no different than some folders with pivot adjustments.

The rattle you hear is the "Floating pin" slightly moving within the drilled lock hole in knife.

When blade pivot is tightened, it will remove most of the rattle, but not always all. It has to move a tiny bit in order to lock smoothly and easily.

You'll love the saw.......................... :D

Robbie Roberson ;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I trust you WILL be bringing it along for the weekend in Wales?!? :D Would very much like to see the knife all the talk has been about ;)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Robbie Roberson said:
The rattle you hear is the "Floating pin" slightly moving within the drilled lock hole in knife.

When blade pivot is tightened, it will remove most of the rattle, but not always all. It has to move a tiny bit in order to lock smoothly and easily.
Robbie Roberson ;)
I realised about the floating pin, but only because of reading your comments here. Don't know if there is anything in the box from new which explains this? Will try tightening.
I'll play with the saw soon...
C_Claycomb said:
I trust you WILL be bringing it along for the weekend in Wales?!?
Yes, Thought it'd be an ideal opportunity for people to see it! I'm planning on doing the meat prep with it as an extra test as well... :D

Cheers

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Having played with it for a bit my thoughts...
It's stronger than I thought it might be, it's obviously designed as a user and not a gimic knife. It performed everything I asked of it with no problems at all. From slicing pigeon breast to battoning wood it worked well.
The saw does work well and the sheath isn't as bad as I first posted, I was doing that from memory and got it wrong - sorry Robbie. :(

The only design problem I've got with it is the way the blade edge can hit the pin when rotating it to use the saw blade. When you've spent so long getting a scary sharp edge on the blade only to have a dent put in it is annoying to say the least :eek:

The rattleing wasn't anything to do with the tightening Robbie. I tried with the alan key and it was tight enough anyway. I think it's the retaining pin that rattles. I understand why it does - becasue it's a floating pin and sits free - but even so it's annoying when walking around and using it can be a little unnerving. Not that I think the pin will fail, I think it's well designed, but usinga knife that rattles.....

So in conclusion, it's a well designed knife (except for the problem mentioned above) and it will stand upto lots of abuse. I don't really like the blade shape or the gut hook (but you knew that anyway!). As someone said at the meetup (I forget who so appologies for not quoting this properly) ' It looks more like a survival knife than a bushcraft knife'. Perhaps a wooden handle and drop point blade would calm the appearance more.
I would use one with no problem at all if it was given to me but I don't think I'd buy one, personal chioce though.

Thanks for the opportunity to try it out :D much appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

ps. given to Lithrel at the weekend.

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Buckshot, thanks so much for your time and input. I appreciate your honesty and ability to back up on certain things.

I learned many years ago, the older I get, the more able I am to never say never..........for sure. :D

In some Revolvers in the past, I have took 98% of the extra movement out of the blade by pivot tightening. Though you are right, some it does not help and is just a by-product of mechanical tolerances.

As I said in other post, if you own this knife for a couple weeks, you realize that if you rotate to another blade, you simply depress switch and "hold" until blade is tucked into handle then release, this helps a lot on pin dings.

I am very proud of this knife, it has come light years IMO from where it started, and it really works, though not perfect, very useful and very tough. These reviews have helped me understand different opinions, blade shapes etc.

I wish I had the power to contact SOG and say, I want a drop point, solid wood handled knife for my buddies in the UK.......... :D But I don't........... :(

I feel the reviews so far have been an overwhelming success, mainly because most (if not all) here said they felt it was a good knife, it really works, thats worth alot to me. I am still amazed at how much people over here in the USA really like it especially after they use it. I have had people say they will never go anywhere without it, and always have it in their cars or trucks.

There is one book out now I just found out about that mentioned the Revolver with a pic. as a survival knife. Not seen it but hear it was a good mention. This is the book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-5103652-5425406?v=glance&s=books

I have not seen this yet............thanks again.

Robbie Roberson :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Perhaps it's because it's made more to the US market where they have a slightly different view about things like knives and guns. :)
It's not a bad knife at all, just not my first chioce perhaps. Although if I were going to a wet climate (rainforest etc.) I'd be more than happy to take it becasue of the stainless blade and saw. I imagine that and a machette would work very well together.

Thanks for your comments and time Robbie, I hope they, and you, do very well.

Cheers

Mark

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Hello, ........... this will be the last question I ask you people of this fine forum, (maybe) How will I know if I don't ask ? :rolleyes:

Since several of you reviewed/tested and examined the Hunter Revolver, I really need your input on something. I have been wondering about a "Mini Revolver" with a drop point blade and a double cut bone/wood saw on the other end of blade.

A mini Revolver might have a 3.75 inch drop point blade with an equal 3.75 saw blade on the other end, (one inch shorter than the Hunter blades at 4.75). Which would make the overall length of the knife about 8 inches. A full 2 inches shorter than the Revolver is now.

The knife might come with a kydex sheath that could be carried in the coat pocket, belt or even neck carry. The knife would probably weigh between 4 or 5 ounces without sheath, maybe 6 ounces with sheath.

The knife would perform exactly as the Hunter does except it might carve easier because of the shorter blade with a drop point. The blade could be rotated in a second to saw limbs or branches up to about 4 inches.

We've been tossing this around on another forum, but I feel the need for your input since most here said they thought a drop point blade might be a blade they could use with this type knife/saw combination. My main question here is, would it help do what you need to do with a shorter drop point blade ?

Those who used the Revolver, just imagine a much shorter pocket or coat carry sheath knife, but one that has a mini rip saw in the handle..... :eek: Thanks for your opinions and input. Also, I used this thread to "expand on" because I did not want to start another "Revolver" thread.

Robbie Roberson ;)

Robbie Roberson said:
Hello, ........... this will be the last question I ask you people of this fine forum, (maybe) How will I know if I don't ask ? :rolleyes:

Since several of you reviewed/tested and examined the Hunter Revolver, I really need your input on something. I have been wondering about a "Mini Revolver" with a drop point blade and a double cut bone/wood saw on the other end of blade.

A mini Revolver might have a 3.75 inch drop point blade with an equal 3.75 saw blade on the other end, (one inch shorter than the Hunter blades at 4.75). Which would make the overall length of the knife about 8 inches. A full 2 inches shorter than the Revolver is now.

The knife might come with a kydex sheath that could be carried in the coat pocket, belt or even neck carry. The knife would probably weigh between 4 or 5 ounces without sheath, maybe 6 ounces with sheath.

The knife would perform exactly as the Hunter does except it might carve easier because of the shorter blade with a drop point. The blade could be rotated in a second to saw limbs or branches up to about 4 inches.

We've been tossing this around on another forum, but I feel the need for your input since most here said they thought a drop point blade might be a blade they could use with this type knife/saw combination. My main question here is, would it help do what you need to do with a shorter drop point blade ?

Those who used the Revolver, just imagine a much shorter pocket or coat carry sheath knife, but one that has a mini rip saw in the handle..... :eek: Thanks for your opinions and input. Also, I used this thread to "expand on" because I did not want to start another "Revolver" thread.

Robbie Roberson ;)
Robbie that sounds like you're offering almost exactly what everyone has asked for. If I didn't know better I'd say you've actually been listening to the comments people have been making :D ;)

Seriously, IMHO those changes would make it very much more usable in a bushcrafty setting and would I think make for a very popular knife.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Lithril said:
I'll post my opinion on knife later (at work at mo) whos next on the list as I need to get it sent out?

I think the last person is Toddy.

And Robbie... Sounds like you're on our wavelength now :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If there's no one else who'd like a shot, then yes please, I'd like a look. I suspect that I may like the look of the new one Robbie is talking about even more though :D
I'll pm who? I'll check :eek:
Cheers,
Toddy

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Robbie Roberson said:
I don't have it.......... :eek: ...........what did it look like in case I see one ? :rolleyes:

Robbie Roberson :p

It was a very clever design of rotating knife. :)

I think it was invented by some english bloke as usual. :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE