SOG hunter revolver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Right it is actually in the post to Toddy as we speak. I do have to apologise though, we boxed most non-essential gear up several weeks ago in preparation for moving house, Sam had actually boxed the knife up and me being the numpty I am forgot about it until about last week.

Sorry again, I'll get the review up a bit later on.

Matt

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Guess what has just this minute arrived :D

Husband is playing with it as I type :rolleyes: first impressions (sorry Robbie, *don't* like the hooky thing) are very favourable, it feels very substantial and reassuringly solid; not at all wongey. :) :cool: Gavin says, "It's very clever".

Okay, okay, I'll do the proper review once I actually get to play with it.
Thanks for organising this Marts.

Cheers,
Toddy

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Great !! It's ok you don't like the "hooky thing" :D As long as you like the overall idea and design.......... :rolleyes:

OK.......you lost me on the "wongey" part, but if it means it good then thats enough for me.

Please thank Gavin for the compliment, I think it is kind of neat too ! :D

Yes Marts, this has been fun in more ways than just hearing the good or the bad.

It's been a pleasure listening to peoples first and final impressions of the SOG Revolver knife, thank you again.

Robbie Roberson ;)

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Toddy said:
Guess what has just this minute arrived :D

Husband is playing with it as I type :rolleyes: first impressions (sorry Robbie, *don't* like the hooky thing) are very favourable, it feels very substantial and reassuringly solid; not at all wongey. :) :cool: Gavin says, "It's very clever".

Okay, okay, I'll do the proper review once I actually get to play with it.
Thanks for organising this Marts.

Cheers,
Toddy
The 'hooky' thingy is for cutting your wafts when weaving.
suddenly its appealing to you,isn't it Toddy? :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
bushwacker bob said:
The 'hooky' thingy is for cutting your wafts when weaving.
suddenly its appealing to you,isn't it Toddy? :D

:D Hmmm, actually it does look like the sley hook used to pull warp threads through the reeds. :) I'm inclined to think of the hook as a *catch & pull through* tool but this one just confuses me, I can't even imagine using it to paunch/gralloch a beast, yet I suppose that's what the American market consider it best suited for.

It's a good tool though; the knife-to-saw action is smooth, easy to operate and locks solidly when it's in place. There's a small rattle that stops as soon as you grip the handle, but that's a very minor quibble. I've no objections to the glassfibre/resin handle.....this is a working tool with no pretentions to be aesthetically *natural*....it's a good firm non-slip grip and won't have any problems if used wet.

The knife is a little long for me to want to use it all of the time, but is excellently sharp and if there were no hook, a good shape too. Green cherry carved/sliced/notched effortlessly. The saw cut off a 6cm thick branch from the cherry tree with no bother at all, the teeth are shark like and take no prisoners!

I'm pleasantly surprised to be more impressed than I expected to be with the Revolver. Gavin likes it, finds the handle comfortable and happily pruned the cherry tree with the saw, besides it's a good gadget kind of thing :rolleyes:

I can appreciate the, "Rambo's EDC" comment; it has a look to it that doesn't blend well with the Bushcraft image; however, that said, if I only had one tool available, to do it all, in an out in the oolou/survival situation this one would do nicely.
I like the sheath too, not over the top but substantial and secure, a nice useable bit of kit.

The hook doesn't work for trimming or de-barking willow or elder :( , but it does catch unwary fingers and small twigs however :eek: and is awkward to clean.

There's no suggestion of flimsiness at all, (Sorry Robbie, wongey just means bendy like the rrrudddderrrrr noise that a thin knife makes when it's jammed). It's a well made tool, to a really good (hooky thingie apart) design and available at an excellent price.

Do I want one? As it stands, no. I'd prefer no hook and slightly smaller lengthed blades, but if given one, I'd give it to HWMBLT to be his rucksac carry *just in case* knife.

Thanks for organising this Marts, and for your patience while we all got to play with your new toy; and thanks too to Robbie for all the information and feedbacks.

Cheers,
Toddy

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
That is a great review, :D I sincerely appreciate all the positive remarks about the knife. I do realize the hook is not needed in bushcraft work, though I wish it were.

I am very satisfied and proud that most, if not all so far have seemingly liked the overall design idea. It really warms my heart to know my Revolver knife has traveled so far and is still able to impress.

This has been a lot of fun for me, I have enjoyed so much the ongoing talks about the SOG Revolver. Thank you for your time, sincerely, now.............who's next............ ;) :rolleyes: :cool: .............Marts I would guess ?

Robbie Roberson :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Marts said:
Yeah me next please :)

I've been looking forward to having a play with this knife for months :p

Posted, special delivery, yesterday afternoon. Should be with you on Monday.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE