Midlands November '09 'Re-enactment Market' Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Hi guys what is the situation when you get to Rough Camp?

Do you get directed to where everyone is pitching?

I'm thinking of leaving some of the kit I am taking with me in the car. Can you get back to the cars during the day?

Sorry if these are stupid newbie questions.

Cheers.

I'm hoping to get there about mid morning.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Hi guys what is the situation when you get to Rough Camp?

I'm thinking of leaving some of the kit I am taking with me in the car. Can you get back to the cars during the day?

Sorry if these are stupid newbie questions.

Cheers.

I'm hoping to get there about mid morning.

If you can i would drive down to the cabin, unload all your gear then drive back to the carpark and park up mate. It's a fair tab down with all your gear on your back mate. Yep, you can go back to the car any time you want to.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
If you can i would drive down to the cabin, unload all your gear then drive back to the carpark and park up mate. It's a fair tab down with all your gear on your back mate. Yep, you can go back to the car any time you want to.

Thanks Andy that's great mate.

I was getting my gear together over the last couple of days and lightweight packable gear doesn't seem to exist in my world.

Think I might have to have a re-think on some of the gear I'm taking.

Should be a great weekend.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Thanks Andy that's great mate.

I was getting my gear together over the last couple of days and lightweight packable gear doesn't seem to exist in my world.

Think I might have to have a re-think on some of the gear I'm taking.

Should be a great weekend.

No probs mate.

I usually take more gear but keep it in the car, you can always go back for it then. Take all you can, no point in not being comfortable when in the woods, ask the Naughty Corner guys, lol.:D

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
You never realise how bulky a kelly kettle is when it comes to packing and carrying it. I always take it canoeing with me so it's not much of an issue.

I think it's the fact that i have got stuff I've collected over the last 12 months and am keen to get it to somewhere I can field test it. I've picked my axe up and put it down 4 times thinking yup not going to use that.

Again thansk for the advice Andy really appreciated matey.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
You never realise how bulky a kelly kettle is when it comes to packing and carrying it. I always take it canoeing with me so it's not much of an issue.

I think it's the fact that i have got stuff I've collected over the last 12 months and am keen to get it to somewhere I can field test it. I've picked my axe up and put it down 4 times thinking yup not going to use that.

Bring it all - I am:D

Ideal opportunity to test it in the weather conditions we are probably going to get.

I'll have to make 2 or 3 trips to the car - no lightweight camping for me I need my luxuries: chair, 4 x 4.5 communal area tarp etc..... too old to rough it any more :lmao::lmao:

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Bring it all - I am:D

Ideal opportunity to test it in the weather conditions we are probably going to get.

I'll have to make 2 or 3 trips to the car - no lightweight camping for me I need my luxuries: chair, 4 x 4.5 communal area tarp etc..... too old to rough it any more :lmao::lmao:

And with that I feel much happier now.

Great stuff.

See you saturday morning.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands

No worries mate. Glad i could be of some help. Canoeing eh ? always fancied having a go.:rolleyes::D Haev a good meet, it's nice at RC. We shall meet one day !!!

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
No worries mate. Glad i could be of some help. Canoeing eh ? always fancied having a go.:rolleyes::D Haev a good meet, it's nice at RC. We shall meet one day !!!

It was the canoeing that got me into the bushcraft to be honest.

I needed a hobby to get into while Mrs Boots was out drag racing.

Canoeing is awesome if you have never given it a try it's certainly worth a go.

A paddle down the Wye with a couple of mates followed by a camp out just makes for a great weekend.

I'm pretty sure canoes to hire down that way are fairly reasonable and it's one of those things that if you do it once nad enjoy it your hooked.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
A paddle down the Wye with a couple of mates followed by a camp out just makes for a great weekend.

I'm pretty sure canoes to hire down that way are fairly reasonable and it's one of those things that if you do it once nad enjoy it your hooked.

I can vouch for that, I have a trip on the Wye planned for Spring next year:D
This year's trip was the Great Glen (again) and was quite an adventure due to some serious weather. Check out SOTP if you wan to read about it.

Anyhow, I'm probably not going to get to the meet again:red: due to visitors but we may go to the Re-enactment market.
I have had a look at the site but was wondering if anyone knows whether there will be stalls there that will be selling leather? I fancy making some belts and sheaths.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hiya bootstrap, it looks like page 4 is showing 'lyons leathers' selling it off the roll with loads of choice.

just came back from rough close, never been there and it wasnt too far away, what a cracking little wood ! :) had a gander around pc11, bit sticky here and there but generally well drained, looking forward to meeting you guys

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Please guys, don't assume that driving down will be ok - if the gate at the car park is closed, the crew are working in the lane etc you'll need to walk kit down to the pitch.
If you are able to drive down, you will need to check that there are parking spaces at the Guild Field prior to driving down and if there are people using the Guild Field or its cabin you'll need to check with them that it's ok to park up while you shift stuff over to the pitch.

... Hi guys what is the situation when you get to Rough Camp?

Site map and Grey scale map

We’re booked onto PC11 – our usual spot.

There's no problem going back and forth to your car.

... I'm hoping to get there about mid morning...

If you're arriving at the site tomorrow (Friday), I refer you to post #67 (below)

...there won't be a problem arriving with time to set up in the light ... 3.30 - 4 pm arrivals should be fine

... wondering if anyone knows whether there will be stalls there that will be selling leather? I fancy making some belts and sheaths.

There are (usually) a few stalls which sell leather and/or leather crafting supplies. The widest selection of leathers is usually in the annex hall (the building closest to the car park) somewhere along the left wall.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm afraid I won't be able to make this meet due

Thanks for letting us know - it's appreciated.

List modified - hopefully I haven't omitted anyone.

Meet list:

Wayland
Mesquite
Addo
MartinK9
Sasquatch
PJMcBear +1
Nolightweight
Twodogs
Gailainne
eel28 (work permitting)
Muddy Boots
Wood Spirits
TinkyPete (work permitting)

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Safe journey to the guys heading down tonight.

Catch you tomorrow all my gear is now sorted so will be heading down after breakfast.

Save me a dry spot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE