Zip Repair Question.

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
6,706
1,885
Cumbria
I've got a mountain equipment hoodie fleece I really like. As in I'm hardly ever out of it when I'm not at work or in the outdoors. I don't know what happened but the zip has no stop to the bottom end of the neck zip. This means one side comes out of the zipper.

Is there an easy way to budge a stop to keep the end of the zip together? It holds if you keep the zip done up a bit bit I'd like a better, real fix.
 
If I'm reading what you've said right, and it's the bottom end of the zip you mean, then simply stitch over both strands of the closed zip right down close where there ought to be a 'stop'. It's easy to do, just double up a normal thread and it'll bed down right in among the teeth of the zip.
Do it a few times and knot it off securely, and it'll hold. If you use a matching coloured thread it'll not even be noticeable.

M
 
The easiest way is to sew a ‘stop’ across the zip. Just oversew a few stitches across it.

Toddy posted while I was typing
 
Thing is though, that risks dribbling it everywhere, and it's on the front of a top.

Honestly, just the thread will be fine. It holds very well indeed. Himself is wearing a pull on windproof top that I've repaired this very way. It's an awful lot quicker and simpler than replacing a zip, especially one sewn into a neckline/yoke/collar.

You can buy new metal 'staples' that replace the one that's sprung out, and I have used them, but for something like this, the stitches are an awful lot easier and quicker.

M
 
Of course, that is the risk!

I do the stiching and superglue on all flies on my trousers, I hate it when the zip pull gets stuck at the lowest point, in that tiny 'pocket/void" between the zip and folded fabric.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE