Zip fuel in Crusader stove test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Firedragon is expected to launch in 3 weeks. The modded crusader cooker (and mug) are already available if you can find a stockist that has chosen to stock it. Are you at the DSIE?

I didnt know the Crusader 2 was already available, i'll have to have a look as I thought I had read somewhere that it was all being launched at the same time.

Unfortunately, I won't be at the DSEI next week.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Just a thought, if you take the wrapper off the ZIP and then scrape the exposed surface and make a small powdery mound on the tablet, would that light with a fire steel? I have done this with hexi before.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I thought there was somekind of alzeimers study linked to aluminum or something? I dunno.

That was disproved many years ago I believe...

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/prod/cook-cuisinier-eng.php

Canadians normally take in about 10 milligrams of aluminum daily, mostly from food. Aluminum pots and pans provide only one or two milligrams of the total. While aluminum has been associated with Alzheimer's disease, there is no definite link proven. The World Health Organization estimates that adults can consume more than 50 milligrams of aluminum daily without harm.

I think it has been blown all out of proportion like the chap who believed using IPKs was dangerous because they were coated in lead and making a toasting fork from fencing wire is dangerous because it has zinc coating, what next will be thought of as a health risk, I wonder, don't drink the water as it has been through someone else's kidneys who might have been on the contraceptive pill and you'll turn into a woman...

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
thanks for that. especially for the links! :)

since I love my bcb crusader set, I guess I should to the upgrade and save some weight!
I look forward to the crusader 2! :D

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
isn't cooking out of aluminum bad for you?
Not at all. That was another false story put out by the anti everything brigade. Typically people who are not scientifically literate see a report that speaks of things such as aluminum being found in the brains of Alzheimer patients and then draw a conclusion that does not have a basis in reality. I have a cousin who has got into the alternative health industry lately and the stuff she uploads on Facebook drives me nuts. It seems these people never let the facts get in the way of a good scare story.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Sorry to thread jack, but I've now gotten my hands on the new crusader mug and cooker. First thoughts- not good I'm afraid.

The cooker and mug are made from the same anodised ali and whilst not a problem in itself, the ali is quite thin, it is NOT going to be anywhere near as robust as the current mug. The mug itself is narrower and taller than the current mug. Things were a little hectic today so I didn't put a bottle in it or try the fuel (which comes as a transparent gel cube in a plastic tray containing individual cells topped with foil), but strikingly obvious to me was the bizarre design that does NOT allow the mug to nestle in the cooker! (Edit: Yes it does- see later post)

Last edited:

skids

Oct 19, 2012
Gloucestershire
Great review, I use fire rope in the base of the stove and burn a little meths. It works very well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
A few photos added.

The first one shows the mug standing on the cooker support:

IMG_20130917_084512.jpg

The second shows the mug nestled in the cooker- it cannot be persuaded down any more without the use of a engineers fine adjustment tool.

IMG_20130917_084528.jpg

The third and last shows the mug and cooker nestled next to an Osprey water bottle pouch:

IMG_20130917_084551.jpg

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
What a plum! :eek:

There was a noise not too dissimilar to a penny dropping, and I realised that the unit stacks with the cooker or mug on the bottom, the bottle inside (which does fit), and then the reverse (either cooker/mug) at the top. There is no scope to fit an additional mug on the unit as per the steel crusader set up.

The complete kit fits in a range of Osprey pouches including the water bottle, UGL and LMG pouches.

IMG_20130917_121401.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE