Zebra billys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
10cm billys are quite small, are you sure that this is the size for you?

I'd agree - that size is pretty limiting as to what you can do with it. Personally I'd go with a 12cm as minimum - & even that's dinky!

In fact they should market the 10cm as a "10cm Zebra Billy-no-mates" (No offence intended!):eek:

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
very good slamdunk, i liked that one.

i have the 16cm, it is on the large side, but it fits perfect in the side pocket of my sack nice and snug, that way i can pack it full without wasting space, also when you boil up you can stick a boil in the bag meal in the billy, once cooked you have hot food and enough water for a brew.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Cant get a 10cm zebra billy cans anywhere can someone help a bushcraft newstart

I won't say "Don't bother"
but I will say that if you have any access to metal working tools, go with a cheap biscuit/coffee etc tin and add an arm for hanging it.

pots1001Small.jpg

ATB

Ogri the trog

I recently bought myself a 10cm stainless steel coffee tin from Wilkinsons for £1.99 !!

They also do a stainless steel cutlery drainer for £1.99, which is perfectly sized to slide inside the coffee tin, but has a lip on the top which the 'billy' can sit on (no need for tent pegs). (The lid of the coffee tin/billy is stored on the base when the drainer/brazier is inside in transit.)

I was a little apprehensive with this set-up at first, but thought I'd give it a try...

...as it happens, it worked great - albeit a little top heavy & as the soot is on the inside of the 'brazier' the outside is clean to slide back into the billy after use.

I found the 10cm billy to be big enough to make 2 good mugs of hot chocolate (for me & my 3 1/2 year old son).

Hope this helps, although I'm still searching for a suitable well fitting 'hobo stove' to nestle outside my 14cm zebra (which I've had for ages).

Cheers

Jon

Jan 14, 2007
nairn
thanks everyone . was looking for the 10cm for brews but that coffee tin idea looks great ,would it fit in a plce utility pouch

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
10 cm is very small. Personally, if you want something that small I would buy one of the stainless steel mugs that fits onto the bottom of a Nalgene cup as it has a similar size. I have a 10 cm and it is part of my nesting set, but I only really use it for brewing up. You could probably cook in it, but not much!

Also, if you do get one of those stainless mugs, the mesh from an old coffee press may fit. I have one that I take out with me to make some nice coffee with. It adds a bit of extravagence at brewing up time! :D

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
very good slamdunk, i liked that one.

i have the 16cm, it is on the large side, but it fits perfect in the side pocket of my sack nice and snug, that way i can pack it full without wasting space, also when you boil up you can stick a boil in the bag meal in the billy, once cooked you have hot food and enough water for a brew.

I have size 12 to size 16 and I find the 14 sees the most use for me.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Is this advice ok for Uk ratpacks ? - i thought the foil tainted the water ?
I think it specifically says you can use the water in the instructions - I'll try and find an instruction sheet when I get home..

You couldn't with the old compo tins because the zinc from the cans used to leach into the water..

The BIB pouches feel more like a sort of plasticised foil so the foil bit is sealed in plastic as it were

Rhino

Apr 1, 2007
Gravesend, Kent
I just bought my 14cm can from the Woodlore site. The three sizes (12, 14 & 16cm) are all charged the same (good if you want the larger, not so good if your after the 12cm) but they are all in stock and I received mine the next day!

I looked around for ages and couldn't find anyone else who had them in stock!:soapbox:

Might be slightly more money (but not much) but I can't fault the service!:D

Rhino.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE