Z for Zachariah.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I saw most of the new movie, but didnt see the end. [Errr fell asleep, not because of movie hasten to add]

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Threads was determined to be downbeat worst case and ignored the facts of radiation decay and that surely you can have ultra-violet burning your eyes out or an overcast nuclear winter but not really both.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If the ozone layer is destroyed, more UV penetrates the atmosphere.

Not sure if the overcast from a nuclear winter would block the UV, so might be you can have both. UV does penetrate normal clouds quite well.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cool Richard, wasn't sure if YouTube had left it up. Think they also had The Last Train still up when I looked last, though for the origional series of Survivors there were a few episodes missing.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

I can put the original three series onto DVD for you and pop them in the post.

ATB

Richard

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
is nobody going to mention "Enemy Mine" ? Only one of the best sci fi movies from the 80's! That's one I would certainly hate to see remade.

Watched the 2015 Z for Zachariah yesterday and wasn't all too impressed. I found the setting interesting, and wanted to know more about that, and the backstory of the characters. It seemed like there could have been a rich backstory to the whole thing which I guess you only get from the book (haven't read). But I agree with Dewi, it just felt like it was all about who was going to win out with the lass which just ruined it for me.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm with Dewi & Dreadhead, seems that though they had two good leads in Chiwetel Ejiofor & Margot Robbie that when they had a chance to get Chris Pine who's star is rising just now that they shoehorned him.into the story.
Enemy Mine, wow not seen that in yonks. Will have to dig out a copy to rewatch it. My old favourite Sci-fi movie that I'd hate to see remade as it's perfect and has a bushcrafty feel is Silent Running. Brilliant movie, off to find a copy of Enemy Mine now.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That would be lovely Richard, really nice of you. Would it be easier for me to send down a memory stick and to pop them onto it?
Let me know either way & I'll cover postage and or disc prices.
Thanks again,
Colin.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Enemy Mine is a classic, I have it on VHS... I'm one of those pre-nerd-acceptance nerds who collected 100s of films on VHS and kept them :D

Might be worth nothing GB that the British and American versions are slightly different, so depending on which version you watch and one what format as it was released on both VHS and Betamax (Anyone under the age of 25 probably don't remember Betamax... but I liked Betamax)

Saying all that, both endings will probably be on a DVD version as it can be included as extras now I suppose.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh and they're filming another Bourne film... with Jason Bourne (Matt Damon) in it... :D :D :D

Good as the Jeremy Renner one was awful, even the Richard Chaimberlan & the lass that played Servelan in Blake' 7 version of Bourne was better than that last one.
There should maybe be a guilty pleasure movie thread somewhere? I could kick it off with Doc Savage, Man Of Bronze (1975) and another often overlooked gem The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzi Across The 8th Dimension (1984).

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Anyone remember this post apocalyptic movie from '83', no dialogue and shot in black and white, to great effect.
The last battle.
[video=youtube;bRWN_QtzBLk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRWN_QtzBLk[/video]

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Ah, now there is dialogue... they say hello to each other in the hospital.

Not exactly Shakespearean dialogue, but its in there.

Quite a few films were shot in black and white during the eighties, many of which of have become cult classics (Clerks springs to mind) but I can't remember any that had as little dialogue as this though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ah, now there is dialogue... they say hello to each other in the hospital.

Not exactly Shakespearean dialogue, but its in there.

Quite a few films were shot in black and white during the eighties, many of which of have become cult classics (Clerks springs to mind) but I can't remember any that had as little dialogue as this though.

I was going to say Eraserhead, but I think there was some dialogue in there.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Oooh.. good point, forgotten about Eraserhead!

Big fan of David Lynch... he's done some films that I would class as guilty-pleasures. We need more like him, many more.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE