Yucca Stalk Hand-Drill Container

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
yuccacontainer--inside.jpg

i just finished carving out the inside of that split yucca stalk (Yucca whipplei) to make a container for my hand drill set. within the hollowed stem i keep a couple spindles and hearths, a snakeskin bag of cattail fluff, a buckskin bag of ground white sage, stone, buckskin and bark ember plates, a quartz crystal drill for starting the sockets, and a basalt flake for cutting the notches.

i scored, broke and sanded the stalk to a good length, split the stalk lengthwise with a bone chisel and wooden mallet. to keep the pith at the ends from deteriorating quickly, i coated the ends with deer hide glue.

below you can see how i left the ends unmodified so the container would be sealed when i tied the halves together...

yuccacontainer--end1.jpg

yuccacontainer--end2.jpg

yuccacontainer--outside.jpg

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Thats a nice piece of work Storm. Having hollowed containers out from the solid myself in the pst I know what a pain it can be to do well. Does yucca have a softer pithy insides like elder or is it hard all the way through? (Not many yuccas growing around these parts for me to test one myself ;) )
One thing that I would add to the design is some sort of gasket to make the thing as waterproof as possible. I have found that containers that are "very nearly waterproof" inevitably, and by virtue of Sods Law, let in enough water to make evrything wet, then hold the wet inside to make sure it soaks well. Perhaps a bead of soft cord or even thin leather all around the edges where they meet would do the job?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE