Hand drill newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Went out today to collect some brambles for basketry I didn't find a good enough clump to justify it remembering id seen some mullien growing earlier in the year I cut two of them, some elder drills, a burdock drill and some cattail drills basically everything I could find that I heard was good for hand drill drills I gathered.I meant to cut the mullien back in the summer but it was such a braw thing I didn't have the heart to cut it down, now I've got it it seems very soft not punky but I can compress it with my fingers, is this any good?What are the recommended heartboards? There is no willow, clematis or lime in my area( that I've found) and I have yet to find a decent sized piece of ivy. Are the common bowdrill hearths any use?Finally do I shape the drill and hearth as I would the bowdrill or is there a better way? Cheers for your help

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Try mullein on clematis,I have had it smoking but no ember yet.
I put that down to my technic tho.I have also tried a elder tip spliced on a long hazel drill on clematis,
with same results.One day I'll get an ember with it.Be prepared for some blisters tho :)
Good luck

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I made it happen with teasel on poplar, and teasel on willow. Best of luck to you! And remember stop before your hands are really torn up.
The more damage to your hands the longer you won't be able to drill! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE