Your top 3 bushcraft purchases of 2010

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Following on from Shewies Top 3 Threads I was wondering what you would say were your top 3 bushcraft purchases or swaps were for 2010

For me they were (in no particular order)
The Endicott Wool Bush Shirt. It's a great piece of kit that's going to last me a long time :)

The Dan Cam Arktis Jacket and trousers Probably the best set of waterproofs I've ever bought :D

and finally the biggy for me was the Woodlore Journeyman. A fantastic course and I throughly enjoyed it even if it was b£%%dy hard going. I just wish I'd had the Dan Cam jacket at the time as it would have been so handy having all those pockets :rolleyes::lmao:

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
First would be my issue desert dpm goretex jacket,nice and long so that I only need gaiters to go out in the rain.
Next it's got to be my down sleeping bag,it's enabled me to use a smaller pack and still keeps me warm at subzero temps.
Then my exped synmat,best sleeping mat I've ever had.It's so comfortable I get a great night sleep every night.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Amazingly, I only paid for one of them..

1, Giraffe bone knife
2, Bud bottle stove courtesy of AndyT
3, Swiss army mess kit with a civvy burner courtesy of Mesquite

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hmm, interesting. I think I'm going to choose the jacket I got in a charity shop last weekend, with a detachable 100% Socttish wool liner - fits like a dream, and completely shut out the wind when I was in the Black Mountains the next day. Superb for the £5 I paid for it.
I'll also include my two Crazy river knives that I got as a package deal last month, just because I like them so much.
Finally, a body-hugging base layer top that I picked up in Aldi. Like wearing Deep Heat! Fantastic for cold days.

A lot of kit, for not a lot of money. I think that has been the theme for me this year, together with learing to use the kit that I already had properly.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Forking out and going on this:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60699&highlight=Telemark

Buying this to finish my collection:

61383973.jpg

Edit: Changed my mind, forgot I bought this so out with the trangia triangle and in with one of these:

dsc04545pj.jpg

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

2010 has been full of giraffe bone goodness for us Martin. Where can we go from here?

saying that though, missing out on that one has to be my biggest buying regret of the year. Glad it went to you though, wouldn't want to see it residing with riff raff.

Geordie9

Forager
Oct 25, 2010
Hampshire
As I am starting out mine would have to be my surplus arctic bag, mora knife and my ikea drainer that I will turn into a stove. Hopefully I should be getting a few things for crimble :)

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
First would have to be my Dave Budd knife, bought on a whim at the moot & not regretted. It's called a Frontiesman (or something like that) with a black blade in a black burnt ash handle. Nothing special but it makes me smile evrey time I get it out, cuts sharp & weighs next to nothing. Great bit of kit & fairly unique.

2nd would be my Duluth Folding saw. I tried a few buck saws before I had a go on one of these but they are great. So light yet strong enough to have a go at an 8" thick trunk without thinking, which is way more than I would want to have a go at with the laplander (good though that is for most UK bushcrafting)

3rd would have to be my pack, a 5.11 Tactical Rush 72. I wanted something bigger than the Berghaus 35L bag I had been using & this is great. Compress it up for a few hours in the woods on a summers afternoon and it feels the same as my old day pack. But load it up with gear for several days out in the woods & it just swallows things up. Axe's dissapear into the side pockets, sleeping bags look small etc.. And the centre opening zip is good once you get used to it. The main thing I like is all those storage compartments; there are so many that it kind of forces you to be neat, so you can find things again. It was a bit of a chance going for something different than your usual bergen, but I love it.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
2010 has been full of giraffe bone goodness for us Martin. Where can we go from here?

saying that though, missing out on that one has to be my biggest buying regret of the year. Glad it went to you though, wouldn't want to see it residing with riff raff.

For me Jonathan, that's it... no more, mind you I'd swap the other 13 for an Instructors lol

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Top o' the list, my True North Big Tarp. My first tarp and very, very well pleased with it.
Joint second, my army goretex bivvy bag & Primus Eta 1ltr pot.
Three outstanding pieces of kit

effzedess

Apr 29, 2010
Peterborough
Trying to choose just 3 is really tough, especially for a 'newbie' who is collecting kit all wide eyed in wonder as each bit arrives!

1. Dan Cam smock, great bit of kit thanks to LBL, TeeDee and Kev.

2. In joint second it's my Pro Action one man tent in green (£14.00 from eBay) :)
DD Hammock / Bivi (from zeBarOOn on here)

3. Dragon's breath firestarting kit from Mr John Fenna 'I can make fire!' and my Karrimor sabre 35, and my Mora Force, and my Jetboil Flash, and my Swedish Army Trangia cookset, and my Swiss Army Firesteel, and my, and my, and my......... ok, I'll stop now.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Certainly haven't bought much this year...if anything

Actually considering selling off most of my kit...enjoying the new life so much!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My laminated Japanese hunters knife. (Well, I `am` a Tengu...)
a buff
A `Buster; The Luggage brand` Daysack. Not outdoors, but well made, comfy and OG.

Woden

Dec 15, 2010
Widnes
1. Karrimor weathertite snowboots
2. Some fancy neckwarmer, cant remember the brand name, i never have it off and comes in handy in the woods and on the bike every morning.
3. Silky saw

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE