Your picture of the day...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Did they look bright and lacking in contrast on the screen when you took them?

If so you can probably apply some exposure compensation usually a +/- symbol and apply maybe -1.0 exposure would have helped. The camera will have scene setting for beach and sand sunset etc experiment with those as creating some images you delete costs nothing.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A little something of mine from a walk along the canal

10996882423_0b2637f904_b.jpg

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I took these on Thursday night or rather early in the morning. It mus be one of the first times I have stood the shore of Buttermere and no one passed on foot or by car.

These were mostly taken by the light of the moon unfortunately it was a little cloudy but at full moon it was very cloudy.

The view across Butteremere about midnight lit by the moon.

60seconds ISO 800 f5.6 with torch light n the foreground

Fleetwith pike and haystacks at night by alf.branch, on Flickr

40 seconds ISO 800 f5.6

On the shore of Buttermere. by alf.branch, on Flickr

At Ashness Jetty one of the first times I have shot here.

121 seconds ISO 400 f5.6 moonlight natural light

Ashness jetty lit by the moon. by alf.branch, on Flickr

They are noisy I know but thats mostly to do with camera I think.
All C&C welcome.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Now, I'm really not a fan of monochrome. I think it is an over-used technique. Colour photography was invented for a reason (controversial! :pokenest:). However, it does have its place, and the Elan valley on a murky cloudy day seemed a good place to try it out.

I'll be honest. I really don't like this shot. I want to see the natural hues, however subdued they are. Still, as a picture I think it works, so I'm sharing it. Besides, if I don't try out techniques I'm not comfortable with, I'll never learn anything.

11088940706_27dff8a795_b.jpg

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Mike
I have to disagree about Mono photography it is well and truly under used.

Though dull flat light will rarely work any better in mono than in colour and mono is actually better used in harsh sunlight mostly.

As for you shot what it lacks is contrast as with most mono photos even using B&W film and having it machine processed will do this.

Your shot as it is lacks any blacks or white it has just a whole bunch of grays. Is this a Jpeg straight from the camera of did you process it yourself?

Here is a very simple edit using a curves layer in photoshop and adding some sharpening

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
As usual, no processing involved in mine. Interesting to see the difference your 'quick fix' makes. Thank you.

I'm open to being converted, as I'm not averse to enhancing colours in a picture, so why I should object to a single scale of colours (which is what a monochrome is) I don't know.

Anyway, this is all part of the learning curve for me, so I'm deliberately doing stuff I haven't done before, and I think that gradually my photography is getting better. Long way to go though. :)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
As usual, no processing involved in mine. Interesting to see the difference your 'quick fix' makes. Thank you.

I'm open to being converted, as I'm not averse to enhancing colours in a picture, so why I should object to a single scale of colours (which is what a monochrome is) I don't know.

Anyway, this is all part of the learning curve for me, so I'm deliberately doing stuff I haven't done before, and I think that gradually my photography is getting better. Long way to go though. :)

Mike this is just what was done in the days of film to get a great shot you had to choose paper with different contrast levels and adjust the exposure and locally adjust the exposure with dodging and burning all this PP stuff is not new its just easier (also cheaper believe me) with a pC on digital images.

Do you have any software for PP?

Your camera will average many things out when you want to go one way or the other and taking control is the key in camera and in PP. For a Jpeg you let the camera decide what PP is done with RAW files you decide what is done.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE