Your opinions needed (WARNING Technology Inside!!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which smart phone to get

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Right chaps I need your wisdom,

Whilst I know not all of us are technologically minded i do know that there are a lot who use smart phones amongst us.

I was wondering if you could help me pick between the Samsung SIII and the HTC One X.

This will be a contract for work so not bothered about cost or contract length as thats sorted just need to know which handset to choose!

SO over to you chaps which one is best and WHY?!

P.s you will not have your bushcraft status mocked or even tarnished by participating in this thread

p.p.s well not by me anyway lol

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
ive just got the S3 and im very happy with it. my iphone 4 was forever dropping calls and i find it works much better as a phone. the other thing im most impressed with is the camera. here is a picture i took this morning using the zoom facility. my DSLR struggled to focus this close without some very expensive macro lenses. that was handheld and would have been even better on a tripod or leaning on something solid

20120918_091134.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
S3 all the way, I am eyeing it's larger cousin the Samsung Note 2.

I currently own the S2 and it's a nice phone and I have played with my mates S3 for a bit and was impressed. Good screen size and fantasic build quality, and it's got the Samsung UI better than that pile of crap that HTC ship with.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
A colleague of mine at work has an S3. He loves it.

What he would never admit to is the thing is so bloody large that it is difficult to carry around with you. The reason for this is meant to improve the "user experience" with apps.

But if you want a full featured tablet, buy a tablet. The s3 is meant to be a phone.

I've considered upgrading to a smart phone, but truthfully I doubt the wisdom of committing to pay at least £30 a month for the next 2 years - at least in my case. I have no idea what my income will be in 2 years.

If you want it for the apps, perhaps you should consider a Google Nexus Tablet made by Asus. Less than half the price of an S3 with all of the performance (expect the phone calls).

resnikov

Which ever phone you go for have a look at cyanogenmod for Android phones. Its a another version of the Android Operating system that doesn't have all the duff Samsung and HTC bloat ware in it. I run CM9 on Samsung Galaxy S and it works a treat.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I need a smart phone as it will become a mobile office for me as well as allowing me to use the apps etc.

i will be keeping an old phone to take into the woods with me as and when needed sue to battery life considerations

Dave

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Tbh you can't go far wrong with a galaxy nexus. Its pure android, so no bloatware, guaranteed up to date for next 2 years, cheaper than s3, runs jellybean, and will run key lime pie on the day its released so won't have to wait 6 months for updates.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Which ever phone have a look at power monkey traveller and add an extra solar panel. Just tl say I use a blackberry on os7 and dont have any problems, phone works great, as do all the office itegration tools, it also a nice size, small enough to not take over a trouser pocket yet big enough to watch hd films on :)

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
If using mostly for a mobile office device go for Samsung all the time.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

JC1984

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2012
Craster, Northumberland
I have a One X and absolutely love it....but you're in a nice position because one of mates and my sister-in-law has the S3 and it looks bloody brilliant - I don't think you can go wrong on this one (especially if work are paying for it).

The S3 seems a bit big to me, but it's one of those things where after a week of having it, you will think nothing of it (except when you play HD video on the brilliant screen and it looks unbelievably good)!

Let us know what you decide.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
People still use Blackberry? Android is way better.

Don't know either of the 2 phones mentioned but I am still very happy using my HTC Desire S.

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
I am toying with the same dilemma. Had a couple of htc phones and liked them a lot but think the samsung might be my choice as the battery life appears to be way better. The size of the phones is not really a problem unless you have really tiny pockets.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I have an S3, had an HTC sensation before, the Samsung features are much than HTCs extra features, the OneX has fixed memory, no sd card, on my 16GB S3 I have already filled internal memory with apps and 32gb sd card with music and videos.

Cant fault the S3, marvelous, and jelly bean in a few weeks.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
One x for me!
2 people at 3 mobile had changed there iphone's for the one x, and the other was getting rid of there samsung when there contract runs out!
One x has the better running system, and better battery life so i was told!
this is my 3rd HTC so i am bias, But i just dont like the samsung system, it seems a bit backwards to me!, but that is only my opinion!!

Happy chosing

RM

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have the HTC One X and have been giving it a beating for the past 6 months or so. It is a brilliant bit of kit hands down.
I use it for remote access to servers, mail, messaging, weather, notes, radio, music to mention a few and the camera and cam corder is fantastic quality.
I recently set-up 6 S3`s for a customer to access exchange and work networks so have had a play. They are great looking phones but not as nice or as ergo as the One X. The S3 also feels a lot bigger in the hand but this is down to the fact you can swap out the battery your self and this is a BIG advantage over the One x.
In short they are both technically the same but the One X just feels better. However if you want the better battery life and battery swap out option the S3 is for you.
I get round the battery problem by having an external power pack charger for longer trips.

EDIT Oh forgot to mention, dont drop it what ever you get and get a decent case. I cracked my screen 2 days ago and the the repair is going to be £130 :(

Last edited:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
What do you want from your phone in external memory? That could be the deciding factor if you need removable and portable storage.

I have just gotten a brand new Galaxy S2 (NOT 3) after having a HTC for about 7-8 years, the last one being a Desire which is still going strong now and still outperforms the budget handsets costing £150.

HTC invest heavily in their skins- some love them and some hate them.

I wouldn't want to go bigger than my S2 screen but given the choice I would have another HTC, I like the UI, it just makes sense to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE