Your opinions needed (WARNING Technology Inside!!)

Which smart phone to get

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
It's all about the iPhone, nothing else matters!

Having recently invested in one (4S) for my wife who has coveted one for a long time, I can't see what the fuss is about. The apps are nasty and you have to pay for the decent ones! and I find the phone clunky. Not to my taste and the wife misses her android phone now too.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Having recently invested in one (4S) for my wife who has coveted one for a long time, I can't see what the fuss is about. The apps are nasty and you have to pay for the decent ones! and I find the phone clunky. Not to my taste and the wife misses her android phone now too.

Same reason as the Blackberry, fashion and good marketing.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
What is the best option for someone like me who wants a PAYG option? My son and his brother's partner both have balackberries which they love. Neither of them have any idea how much they cost to run,"My PA deals with that," says my son airily. Daughter-out-law includes it in her enormous overheads as a GP. Also neither of them can fully comprehend my ignorance of modern technology.
I want something that I can make phone calls on, check my email while out and about tale the odd photo and maybe have some GPS function.
Sorry if I have hi-jacked the thread but I think there maybe some good answers to the original question. Problem is, I don't fully understand the question and understand hardly any of the answers.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
oldtimer about the cheapest you could do all that for on PAYG would be something like a Samsung Galaxy Ace I, which would cost you around £120.

You have to buy the phones outright on a PAYG tariff before you can use them.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
What is the best option for someone like me who wants a PAYG option? My son and his brother's partner both have balackberries which they love. Neither of them have any idea how much they cost to run,"My PA deals with that," says my son airily. Daughter-out-law includes it in her enormous overheads as a GP. Also neither of them can fully comprehend my ignorance of modern technology.
I want something that I can make phone calls on, check my email while out and about tale the odd photo and maybe have some GPS function.
Sorry if I have hi-jacked the thread but I think there maybe some good answers to the original question. Problem is, I don't fully understand the question and understand hardly any of the answers.

Another option would be to buy a second hand handset, maybe an Android, HTC wildfire, galaxy ace or something similar. They can be had very cheap. Ideally from a phone repair or pawn shop, making sure its unlocked so it'll run with your sim card.
If you find it useful, you could always buy a new model later if needs be. I'd personally stay clear of eBay for phones as you may end up with a blocked or stolen phone.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Take a look at
http://www.very.co.uk/huawei-ascend...839e-e5b39b2661fb&istItemId=mlirprlp&istBid=t

Its a great budget android phone, I got the wife one in July and it performs far higher than the price would suggest.

I've an S2 and its a cracking phone as is the S3, so I'd have to vote S3 in the pole although the One X gets glowing reports.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool

Depends, what's it mostly used for just phone an txt or do you want email, music, decent camera, app store that vetted it's applications before going to the public etc give us a little more to go on and well recommend you a phone.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I have a real aversion to debt, which I class "contracts" under - so I'm stuck using cheap nasty little phones. £7500 of student debt is quite enough for me.

I have however been seriously contemplating forking out the £250 to get a HTC One V and bunging my PAYG sim in it.

Maybe not......

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have a real aversion to debt, which I class "contracts" under - so I'm stuck using cheap nasty little phones. £7500 of student debt is quite enough for me.

I have however been seriously contemplating forking out the £250 to get a HTC One V and bunging my PAYG sim in it.

Maybe not......

The HTC desire is a great phone and can be had for a bargain on ebay second hand.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Well chaps amd chapettes

I ended up plumping for the Samsung SIII and tbh i love it. only had it since yesterday but already fallen in love with android.

Everything is soooo simple and completely intuitive thanks for all your opinions adn taking the time to pass on your advice

Thanks again

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE