your craft disasters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
Iv broken a spoon and melted a diy storm lantern in the past two days,
what crafting disasters have you had?

the lantern was a bean can base with plastic bottle top, the plastic was thick so I thought it might be alright but it just melted where id weakened it by putting air holes :lmao:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I was working on my first wooden fork this summer. I was almost done and then I sliced 3 of the four points off. Also I cut my finger badly while carving a bear.
And I've had files break, antler bolsters crack while knife making. Even dropped a blade once on a concrete floor chipping the point of. Luckily is was just a lauri not an expensive one.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I was working on my first wooden fork this summer. I was almost done and then I sliced 3 of the four points off. Also I cut my finger badly while carving a bear.
And I've had files break, antler bolsters crack while knife making. Even dropped a blade once on a concrete floor chipping the point of. Luckily is was just a lauri not an expensive one.

You are lucky you only cut your finger when carving that bear. Normally they would tear your head off for trying such a thing!

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
You are lucky you only cut your finger when carving that bear. Normally they would tear your head off for trying such a thing!

LOL :)

I was making this large froe once, and rushed to finish and quenched it into water when I realised it should have been oil and my froe ended up shattering....... And I spend a day once carving a kuksa from apple and I rushed to finish it and broke it after spending maybe 10 hours on it.... never rush your craft!!! :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
not had any real craft disasters but my leather work tend to leave me with plenty of scars

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Deep fried a sheath in beeswax once. First shot at dipping and had the temp far too high.
Trashed a leather flask. Dipping again, right temp this time but hadn't left the leather long enough to dry after wetforming. The slightly high moisture content caused it to just collapse flat again.
Broke a couple of bows in the final stages of tillering. Was some colourful language used those nights I can tell you. :censored:

Always seems to be the final stage of anything I blow it. grrr.

Have a habit of destroying arrows on their first day out. Done two on the first round once - one hit the other and they were both trashed. My first pair of atlatl darts went much the same way. One hit the wooden frame of the butt and the other found the only rock in the field. Got barely half a dozen shots of each.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I was making this large froe once, and rushed to finish and quenched it into water when I realised it should have been oil and my froe ended up shattering....... And I spend a day once carving a kuksa from apple and I rushed to finish it and broke it after spending maybe 10 hours on it.... never rush your craft!!! :)

Ooo those are both pretty darn tragic!

I haven't had any Real disasters other than wood splitting as it dries and perhaps being a little over-excited with the bill-hook and taking too much off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE