Your best cheap buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
What is your best cheap buy?

I have two, my first is a torch I found at boyes in scarborough.
It takes 3 AAA batteries, 9 white LEDs, is made of tough plastic and has one rear button which feels nice and tough.

Here's a picture:
2580wvm.jpg

Ok, take a guess at how much this thing costs and post up your best cheap buys!

I'll also add this http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/bushcraft-firesteel-100-p.asp it's just like the more expensive firesteels (obviously a different striker but if you use a knife it doesn't make a difference anyway) but it's a lot less expensive. I bought mine as the mora clipper combo buy. I am in no way associated with this website just a very happy customer.

Lets see that lovely cheap bits of kit :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A Spear and Jackson folding saw, 3 quid brand new. Still going strong many years later and still sharp enough to cut wood without and undue effort. Can be used by anybody after five minutes of instruction, more safety than anything else. If it got broken, I'd be sad to lose it but at 3 quid I cannot complain!

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
ooh good thread,

i would say a pair of ex issue goretex boot liners which cost me £1.99 delivered and have been worn in many various footwear as well as being nice and toasty when it turned cold in the hammock one night last year.

I wore them so much that i decided they needed a wash and now i need to replace the seal tape on the seams but the tape is so much more than i paid for the liners i cant bring myself to buy some :)

Tom

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
i would say a pair of ex issue goretex boot liners which cost me £1.99 delivered and have been worn in many various footwear as well as being nice and toasty when it turned cold in the hammock one night last year.

I've got a pair of those, but paid a bit more than you.

I find them handy if you need to ford a river. I take my socks off and put my boots back on. After I've forded the river I put my socks on with the liners over the top, and then put my wet boots back on. That way my socks keep dry and I can then walk the boots dry.

Jim

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Well, theres the Norton combination bench stone from a boot sale for 50p, a nice vintage razor stone (fine waterstone) in a little wooden case, again 50p from a boot sale, a razor strop (genine horse hide) yet again 50p from a junk stall, and a turbo flame type lighter for a couple of quid off the market.

Dave

The Second hand shops of Sweden have provided my best bargains over the years, whilst on holiday, including:

2 x Fjällräven Greenland Jackets
Old Fjällräven Trousers
Montcler Down Jacket
Nice Kuksa, and Small Wooden Spoons
Cast Iron Frying Pans, and Casseroles / Camp Ovens
Various Norwegian Style Sweaters
Non of the above cost more than £5. (Although Excess Baggage on the Pans was uneconomical!)

If you visit Stockholm I can also recommend the Fjällräven Reject / Factory Outlet Shop (actually just outside Sthm. in Barkarby)...

http://tinyurl.com/mqhp8z

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Wow, you guys have gotten much better cheap gear than me, the torch in my original post cost £3 but there are amazing buys from you guys!

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
I got a good LED flashlight for $5. It's been dropped and abused but still works like a champ and still on the original batteries. Most recently I got a like new Alice pack for free when my National Guard unit moved to new facilities and left a bunch of gear behind. I have also gotten some $80-$100 knives from Air Force Base Exchanges for $40-$50, SOGs, Benchmades, Spidercos, etc.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
so far me tesco torch for £8. full LED torch. its like wielding a lightsabre at night!
other then that £17 for some Tru-Spec Desert Combat Uniform Pants. (posted)
the american stuff whats called Tri-colour. usually they're £40 odd quid ;)
perfect sizing too :D

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
i got a 2 man trangia stove from a car boot for £4 should have been £40. there was only 1 thing wrong and that was the rubber seal had gone on the meths burner and it had only been used for a d of e exped so was fairly new :D
i also got a 1 man trangia from blacks for £7 as it wasnt boxed bargin.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
i got a 2 man trangia stove from a car boot for £4 should have been £40. there was only 1 thing wrong and that was the rubber seal had gone on the meths burner and it had only been used for a d of e exped so was fairly new :D

£4???

I'll fight you for one of them! :swordfigh

Wanted one of my own for ages :p

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
so far me tesco torch for £8.

i got one of those last year, they are the mutts. i dropped it into a rocky pool in a river from 6 feet last weekend and it just kept on shining.

i also got a pair of craghoppers trousers a couple of weeks ago from TKMaxx for free! (don't ask me how). :cool:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
i got one of those last year, they are the mutts. i dropped it into a rocky pool in a river from 6 feet last weekend and it just kept on shining.

i also got a pair of craghoppers trousers a couple of weeks ago from TKMaxx for free! (don't ask me how). :cool:

uh..... how? :D

I suppose you know you can buy replacement seals? Classic mistake to put the lid back on whilst the burner is still hot.
Got lots of good Woodland near you around Worksop Jamin...Sherwood, Clumber etc etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE