you lose 75-85% of your body heat through your head--myth!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
Hello folks, I keep reading this one and it gets repeated by every instructor I've ever heard. It's not true, the Canadian army did testing with the troops wearing cold weather gear but no headwear. So big heavy boots, mitts, arctic parkas-you get the picture. Then they measured the heat loss with the instruments available at the time and concluded that the majority of body heat is lost through the head. Subsequent and more recent testing on near naked folks proves that the head looses heat at a rate not much more than the rest of the body. The head has little fat and high blood flow so it does lose heat faster but not to the tune of 75% of your total body heat.

On the other hand when the Innuit act as guides they insist that the clients cover their heads in cold weather, and it makes good sense to me. A woolen toque is perhaps the worst way to cover your head by the way as it doesn't prevent heat escaping through your collar and does nothing for your neck. A fur hat is a good way but still not as good as a good hood on your parka, the fur hat and the hood is the bomb though! In extreme cold I'm amazed that a hood will create an area of warmth around your head that's quite nice indeed and works well to keep your face warm too, especially if it's one of those wire rimmed hoods that can be drawn in quite tight with a small opening.

That feels better, I had to get that one off my chest!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
New one on me, I've always been lead to believe that we loose around 30% through our uncovered heads......one thing I'm sure of is that if I wear a hat & scarf in cold weather, I'm a darn sight warmer than if I don't..;)

udamiano

On a new journey
I believe the myth was originally started to get people to cover-up. As most people tend to wear layers upon layers on the rest of the body during extreme cold, its surprising how few actually wear a good thermal hat, your nose and ears are all subject to frostbite, and frost nip, so its always a good idea to keep these areas in a more shielded environment (Before anyone says about covering your nose up you will suffocate, It was meant to suggest using something like grease) On many arctic courses, one of the many thing they tell you, is to keep moving your face muscles, as this helps maintain the faces defence against the cold (Ive seen some brilliant expressions on peoples faces while doing this :lmao:)

Its also surprising how much a cold head and ears interferes with your thought processes, but as you say the head losses not much more than any other part of the body.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The head does not loose heat much (if any) quicker than any other part of the body left exposed, the excessive heat loss through the head is a myth.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
What they mean, which seems to be misunderstood is that if you are wearing clothing but no hat, then 75% of the heat you will lose will be lost through your head. If you are wearing a hat but no gloves then it works out that 75% of any heat lost is lost through your hands, same if you had no boots on for example.

Its not the percentage of body heat it refers to, but the percentage of the total heat lost.

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
It's all about the ushanka. I bought one online a few years ago from the Ukraine.
Trouble is that over here it's never really cold enough to wear it without boiling my brain.

Wool hats do me fine in cold weather.

Though I must admit that this is news to me too.

Andy

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Simple to test - try spending a weekend in the forest with just a hat on and nothing else, if the myth is true you'll only loose 15 - 25% of your body heat and be nice and warm - if it's not true you'll be freezing

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
What they mean, which seems to be misunderstood is that if you are wearing clothing but no hat, then 75% of the heat you will lose will be lost through your head. If you are wearing a hat but no gloves then it works out that 75% of any heat lost is lost through your hands, same if you had no boots on for example.

Its not the percentage of body heat it refers to, but the percentage of the total heat lost.

that's the way i've always understood it too. if it was just a straight 75% of your total body heat being lost then you'd be very dead

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I believe the myth was originally started to get people to cover-up. As most people tend to wear layers upon layers on the rest of the body during extreme cold, its surprising how few actually wear a good thermal hat, your nose and ears are all subject to frostbite, and frost nip, so its always a good idea to keep these areas in a more shielded environment (Before anyone says about covering your nose up you will suffocate, It was meant to suggest using something like grease) On many arctic courses, one of the many thing they tell you, is to keep moving your face muscles, as this helps maintain the faces defence against the cold (Ive seen some brilliant expressions on peoples faces while doing this :lmao:)

Its also surprising how much a cold head and ears interferes with your thought processes, but as you say the head losses not much more than any other part of the body.

This reminds me of the quote of Brian Moore (old rugby international and commentator for you lot with no class:) ), well-known for his dour disposition and expression. He said "Smiling only uses a third as many muscles as frowning. Therefore smiling people are lazy....."

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll

Aye, that's fairly much what I've been told too, by Wise Old Tibetan Monks who meditated on this very subject for centuries*. Although the figure I heard was closer to 40%, either way it's always made sense to me that the exposed bit it going to shift heat faster then covered.

*-This is a complete lie. They weren't monks at all. They were various Army instructors I've encountered. They did however meditate for centuries**.

**- Also a iccle white lie. They didn't meditate.

Nag.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've never heard anyone say anything like 75% of heat loss is from the head. If I had, I'd have challenged it.

I've heard a figure of 25%, and I'd just about be prepared to believe that if the rest of the body is well insulated and the head isn't.

I use a hat as a form of temperature control. If I start to get hot when I'm exercising in cold weather, the first thing I do is take off my hat.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
The thing that twigged this little post was #118 of the tips stickied at the top of this forum. Not trying to stir up trouble, it's just one of my pet peeves. I always have warm headgear when I go out in the cold and it's a good idea to carry some even if the 75% might not apply.

cheers!

Gray1100

May 4, 2010
UK
Thanks for that not only very interesting but I've often wondered if it was true as I hear it so much!

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
This reminds me of the quote of Brian Moore (old rugby international and commentator for you lot with no class:) ), well-known for his dour disposition and expression. He said "Smiling only uses a third as many muscles as frowning. Therefore smiling people are lazy....."

This brings to mind another quote from Bill Hicks (american comedian)when people tell me smiling uses less muscles than frowning so smile and save energy. I tell them "pointing that out used more energy than walking past so save yourself some energy and leave me alone"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE