York Knife Puuko

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
Here’s a little one I finished last week, I was a little sad to see it go but you can’t keep em all (apparently)

I’ve probably only made about 10 of these Puuko’s so far which I’ve named the
“Ratatoskr Puuko” After the mischievous squirrel that runs up the world tree In viking mythology, carrying messages from the serpent at the bottom to the eagle at the top... and creating havoc between them both.

This is the first one I’ve made with wood scales, these were Desert Ironwood with micarta liners, all the others have been made from Micarta.
The steel is 3.5mm and one of the tougher stainless steels available (AEB-L), the Rockwell sits at 60 for this model, the grind was a Scandi with a stropped edge and as you can imagine very sharp. I believe this steel at the 59-60 Rockwell mark lends itself quite well to both toughness and edge holding... kinda the Goldilocks zone for a smaller knife like this.

Anyway please enjoy the pics below .

113F9A51-3544-444C-B5E0-13A4488DBC8E.jpegE00D322F-AE2C-425C-95B8-15B68C4C9C30.jpegB2C8C89C-5F8A-4D96-8446-8A322A67810E.jpegC2D651CA-2182-4F9B-8F1E-38B73CAA2791.jpegC6D43EC5-190F-40BF-AC35-59F86573F062.jpegA3A157CA-1DB1-4A2A-B2F9-6EA5B2DC664E.jpeg

The scales are held on with brass pin, lanyard tube and G-Flex epoxy. The finish is a hand finish to 400 grit for a clean uniform matt look.

You’ll notice on the opposite side to my makers mark There is an abstract Norse Raven, an image I just can’t help but put on. The sheath is made by myself.... turns out you can’t be a knife maker and not turn your hand to leather once in a while (much to my sore fingers dismay) it’s stamped with my signature stamp which is a Viking Stave called the “Helm of Awe” and I hope sets the whole package off nicely.

I hope this has brought some of you guys and girls pleasure.

Luke

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Very nice set up Juggernaut. Might need to have a chat one day about a collaboration/small batch of AEBL blades. I have been reading a lot about it lately and like the edge stability it offers in a stain resistant package.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have been reading a lot about it lately and like the edge stability it offers in a stain resistant package.
On Knife Nerds testing it seems to be one of the top ones on all round properties but there is apparently some variation between batches or it might be sensitive to HT but anyway it is a very good choice for a stainless working knife,.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
Hi, yeah the steel itself is great, limited thicknesses in the U.K. though 3.5mm is thickest I’ve seen so far.
It’s a great steel to use and relatively cost effective to buy and like you say goes against the grain of other stainless steels.... in that it’s tool steel tough, it won’t hold an edge as long as other stainless steels but will hold an edge longer than most tool steels. Like I say I feel it’s the Goldilocks steel for me at least... others may disagree but you can’t help but take notice of the facts And testing on the knife steel nerds Forum

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE