Yew flatbow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Made a couple of bows recently. My mum made off with hers before I could take any photos but here's mine.

It's 48lb@28". Lots of knots, both limbs snake around a bit and what looks like twist near the tips is more like bulges in the stave. It was that shape when I started.
The heartwood to sapwood ration is a little lower than I'd have liked but beggers can't be choosers. The dirty big crack that'd killed the trunk ran deep from the other side and by the time I axed it away that's all the heartwood that was left. Was only a 4" log too so it has a high crown and a lot of sapwood wraparound.
Oiling the belly and seeing the grain come out was a joy.

Yew_23.jpg
Yew_24.jpg
Yew_25.jpg

Yew_26.jpg
Yew_27.jpg
Yew_28.jpg

Yew_29.jpg

Yew_30.jpg

Yew_31.jpg

Yew_32.jpg

:)
Josh

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That is a beauty no doubt. I have made bows with way less heartwood than that and they have been good performers.
My favourite bow is about the same draw weight and is perfect for playing in the woods. Any heavier and I start getting all wobbly as the days goes on.

I bet that one is a keeper ;) nothing like your own yew flatbow to your own specification. Tiller and leather-work is exceptional.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Very nice, could you point me in the right direction for a good tutorial on making something like that.

Many thanks

Chris

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Very nice, could you point me in the right direction for a good tutorial on making something like that.

Rummage around Paleoplanet. Search for tutorials and 'build-alongs'. I've barely looked in since finding BcUK but reading the paleoplanet posts was what set me off and where I learned one end of a rasp from the other.

That is a beauty no doubt. I have made bows with way less heartwood than that and they have been good performers.
My favourite bow is about the same draw weight and is perfect for playing in the woods. Any heavier and I start getting all wobbly as the days goes on.

I bet that one is a keeper ;) nothing like your own yew flatbow to your own specification. Tiller and leather-work is exceptional.

Top end of the comfortable range for me too. My dad and I go off on weekend long round-the-clock matches sometimes using dartboart faces. We'll chuck hundreds of arrows and discuss shoulder and arm aches over a beer of an evening. Usually 45lb is my limit for those sessions.

Ripped out one of the pairs of holes in the handle. Two minutes from completion and I go and mess up. Numpty! :rolleyes:
It's those bloody leather water bottles. Ever since making them I saddle-stitch everything to destruction.
I'm getting pragmatic in my old age, the missing bit of stitching locates my ring finger so I'm calling it a consistancy feature. :p

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE