Yet more questions about rucksacs.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trouble

May 7, 2005
Suffolk
Hi everyone.

Sorry to bore with another thread about chosing a rucksack but I just can't find the info I need in the forum archive.

Firstly I've had a trusty olive green Karrimor jaguar 75 since I first did my D. of E. at school in the 1980's and since then it's been up hill and down dale in every corner of the world. Unfortunately it's now more holes than sack and it needs replacing. Secondly I've decided on buying a new 30-50 litre sack as well for smaller expeditions.

The Karrmor PRI Sabre 60-100 is a definate no-no as I'm just not up for carrying a bag that weighs almost 4kg before you even put anything in it (!) and the same goes for the Berghaus Vulcan sacks. I like the look of the Sabre 75 but it doesn't have a height adjustable back, I'm 6 foot tall so it would be great to get some feedback from an owner the same height as me.

Some people on the forum have recommended the Lowe Alpine Salient and it looks pretty good with height adjustable back system, long profile and only 2.9kg but I would really like to get a look at the harness side of the sack before I buy and all the stock photographs on the internet are of the wrong side, is anyone out there who owns one up for posting a pic? Also the blurb on the Lowe Alpine site is a bit vague in regard to it's capacity, is it 90 litres with or without the addtion of side pouches?

I've also tried an Osprey Aether 70 in a shop which was VERY comfortable indeed, its packed with features, comes in a mute green/grey colour scheme and only weighs 2.15Kg! The material is a lot thinner than on military packs but apparently includes some kevlar in the weave. If anyone has one of these I would really like to know how durable they are as I do a lot of walking in thorny forest and scrub areas.

As far as a smaller pack is concerned I have noticed that Lowe Alpine also do a 35 litre Sabre sack, how does it compare with the Karrimor PRI Sabre 30, 35 and 45? My chief concern with all the packs is that the waist strap is positioned properly as none are height adjustable.

Looking forward to replies. Dave.

K

KenC

I'm also agonising over what new sack to buy.

I have the Karrimor 60-100 Independence (as far as I can see the civvy version of the 60/100 Sabre), and 4kg is far too much. I'm now looking at a sack wieght of under 2kg. The problem is, the more adjustable the back system, the more weighty the sack, but the more weight, the more you need a back system. IYSWIM.

Based on all this, I've decided to go for a Sabre 45, which is only 1.4 kg, and has the fixed back. I'm hoping that many successful designs don't have back systems (most Alpine sacks, for example), so can't be awful.... can they?

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Ken.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Guys,
I understand your frustrations as I'm fussy about kit that fits properly. I haven't had any direct experience with rucksacks but I'm sure that if you were to spend some time in a reputable outdoor shop, they are likely to offer trials of everything they have - it might not be loaded to a working weight but they could demonstrate adjustable height back harness's etc and you'd be able to compare many models side by side.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

trouble

May 7, 2005
Suffolk
Trying before buying is a definate for rucksacks as it is for footwear but the problem is there is nowhere nearby that I can try the PRI Karrimor sacks and judging by the internet there are only a couple of retailers of the Lowe Alpine military spec rucksacks in the entire country. As I said before I did get to try the Osprey Aether.

T

Tangiblesolid

Hi
I have a Lowe Alpine saracen for sale on ebay at present. I'm certainly not trying to sell it to you but there are a couple of photos, front and back which may help you if you want to see the straps/adjustable back/harness system. The adjustable back is the same as on the salient

the number is 230039475276

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
hi

I agree with the SAbre 60-100 being too heavy -

The Sabre 75 is a better pack in my option because its more simple - but the fit is essential. I'm 6ft and well built and i found it to be pretty good. Any taller though and you'd struggle.

i'm not familiar with the Lowe Alpine or Berghaus brands - i use Kifaru and Camelbak packs.

I use the Kifaru ZXR as my main pack and the smaller is one is either Camelbak MOtherlode (35L) or the Camelbak BFM (45L)

The packs have PALS webbing so you can attach a range of pockets and pouches if required.

The Kifaru has an adjustable harness system which (in my opinion) is absolutely superb. The Camelbak's have fixed harnesses (frameless on the Motherlode and internal frame on the BFM) both of which serve their purposes and are good for about 15kg or so.

Durability on any of these brands has never been a problem for me.

hope this helps.

cheers
Jeelan

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Just received this...

DSC00705.jpg

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00706.jpg

I've just written a quick review here.

If you want any more info, give me a shout.

Pablo

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
Hello Dave,

I bought an Aether 60 and took it to the mountains on a 2 week trek. I brought it back after the trip and got my money back. The pack was ripped and torn beyond repair. The 2 bars that offer stabilty both popped out of the pockets and the seams showed bad stress signs. I would never buy one again.
A friend who used my trusty old Lowe Alpine Alpamayo 70+20 on the same trip said he had never worn a more comfy pack before... It is now again my favorite pack and I will never part from it.

But the Osprey was light...

Hopefully, they have improved now, so the comparison is no longer possible.

Bjorn

trouble

May 7, 2005
Suffolk
Thanks everyone and sorry about not replying sooner I've just got back from 10 days in Snowdonia and I've missed the Salient on ebay, doooh!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE