Yes, it's another Ventile thread!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Hi mate, generally you require to re-treat ventile every now and then. Generally I use Nikwax cooton proof it is one of the TX10 type range.

And no it does not effect the way that Ventile works, if anything you will notice a benefit by doing this. I have a number of bits of ventile equipment and they all get re-proofed every now and then (my 2 layer jacket is up for re-proofing now). :)

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
leon-1 said:
Hi mate, generally you require to re-treat ventile every now and then. Generally I use Nikwax cooton proof it is one of the TX10 type range.

And no it does not effect the way that Ventile works, if anything you will notice a benefit by doing this. I have a number of bits of ventile equipment and they all get re-proofed every now and then (my 2 layer jacket is up for re-proofing now). :)

I've never had much success with Nikwax on ventile, grangers is a little better. But by far the best stuff I've used is a product called Storm, its flurocarbon based unlike Nikwax (silicone based) so is better able to penitrate the close weave of ventile. The spray on stuff is best and drys very quickly, then a quick spin on a hot setting in the tumble dryer really does it good too.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Is this the stuff you mean Will?
I gave them a ring and they said the wash in would be better for Ventile. All I need to do now is find someone that stocks it locally.
I'll aggree that Grangers is better on Ventile than Nikwax. My Snowsled stays waterproof about twice as long when I use the Grangers but it can be hard to get the cotton proofer.
I went to the Outdoors show at the NEC and the guys on the Grangers stand didn't have any and they just looked sort of blank when I asked them about it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Point North sell something called Super Pel which they recommend for waterproofing Ventile . Haven't tried it but doubt it's in their interests to disappoint customers. Any one know anything about this stuff?
Cheers,
Toddy

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
All my ventile kit gets washed and proofed annually (oct-nov) just in time for winter. By the time summer comes the proofing has worn away enough to let it breathe a little better.
Neil

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Guys,

Thank's a lot for the advice! I've got a sew up a rip in the drawstring cuff, and soon I shall buy some "stuff" for it. I did some more research on google, and the general consensus is that proofing cotton with a silicone-based polymer (Nikwax type-stuff) lasts a helluva a lot longer than proofing a gore-tex face fabric, such as nylon or polyester. Cotton fibres seem to LIKE treatments, and keep them for a long time, where as synthetics don't really like being treated. Gee, that would explain why the DWR on my bloody-expensive Entrant GII-XT jacket doesn't lasty very long. Shouldn't have bought the stupid thing, got the Ventile for free! If I can, I'll try to post some pictures of the jacket, you old-school guys'll get a kick out of seeing how old it is!

Cheers,

Adam.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
martin said:
Is this the stuff you mean Will?
I gave them a ring and they said the wash in would be better for Ventile. All I need to do now is find someone that stocks it locally.
I'll aggree that Grangers is better on Ventile than Nikwax. My Snowsled stays waterproof about twice as long when I use the Grangers but it can be hard to get the cotton proofer.
I went to the Outdoors show at the NEC and the guys on the Grangers stand didn't have any and they just looked sort of blank when I asked them about it.

Thats the stuff, I haven't tried the wash in stuff cos it needs the heat of a washing machine to activate, wouldn't have thought that a good idea with ventile. We sell it at CCC. Its distributed by AMG outdoors, so anyone who stocks Vango should be able to get it. Its farely new to the market but has impressed me. Its better on gore tex than the other 2 too. Though I still have my reservations about the leather conditioner and leather balm, I still prefer grangers for that.
It also works better on paramo than the recomended Nikwax if anyone is of interest.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm probably going to have to use Nikwax on it, as the outdoor stores in my city don't carry Grangers. But, if it works as well as you say it does, I don't think I'll mind.

Thx.

A.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE