XXL Hammocking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Like most of you i thourghly enjoy using my hammock when sleeping out . I however have one down side , i cant find a hammock strong enough to take the dogs aswell ! They are great when your on the ground as they keep you well toastie , so why shouldnt they get some comfort as well ?
Now i know this may seem weird or unacheivable , especially when you consider me and my 2 hounds will weigh in at around the 550lb mark . I would think it mad , but i remember when i was in scouts we had a helicopter cargo net we used to string up and about 12 of us would kip in it . So i know it would be acheivable at the cost of weight , but could a lighter 3/4 man version be made too work without being too heavy ?
It would probabley need to be reinforced with something like climbing webbing but would need a complete floor . you could have multi points around it that you put a carabina through to make it more versatile .
One other point would be insulation , i know that the groupbuy underblankets make a big difference . but could something like this be insulated as well as be made ?
Appreciate your thoughts .
Pumbaa

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I get where you're comin from buddy. I've got a 12 stone bullmastiff and due to that I always sleep on the ground. SANTA!!! please get me a thermarest..x2..lol!!!
:lmao:

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Pumbaa,

No reason why you can't knock something up.

If weight isn't too much of an issue a decent weight duck cotton/canvas would be strongenough, say 13 oz, sort of thing that the old Scout patrol tents were made from, or good sail cloth.

Have reinforced eylets for attaching carabiners and tapes.

If you think of a asym shape - like a Hennessy - where you have two end and two side attachment points it will keep it wide enough.

For insulation you can sleep on you inflateable mat/reindeerskin whatever and the mutt's will just cosy up.

'cause you'll also need a decent sixed tarp but that would be easy enough.

Luck with whatever solution you try.

David

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I suppose the difference with the cargo net is it will give and sag under each persons weight. Whereas solid material wont and you'll end up in a big pile up on top of who ever is the heavist.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
why not get a roll of nylon tape?
sew the tape along all the edges of the hammock and in strips across it?
that should reenforce it enough to hold your weight.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Ive made my own heavy duty hammocks from cordura nylon. Its expensive but it takes a lot of weight without any problem.

And in these xmas times, being able to take on a bit extra weight doesn't seem to be a problem at all :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE