Wrecked hammock woe, advice pls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Same weight James :eek: maybe an ounce over .....

Damn right Steve, probably karma for fallin aht wi swmbo last neet. I finished up in my bivi sac in garden :eek:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
but i bet you can imagine and i feel your pain brother cos i would hate to have dunn that mate

now bravo matt on getting it sorted and hope all is well for brokkers in september

drew

Cheers Drew, it might not have been my fault ? An investigation has started ;)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Investigated today with a muckas help and opinion... More pics.....note the amount of material cynched by the whoopies at each end....particularly the amount of fly caught up.....
95feea55-8f86-fc03.jpg

95feb655-9029-8d05.jpg

95feb655-904b-139f.jpg

95feb655-9063-36f0.jpg

95feb655-907e-7951.jpg

The damaged area is being held back in its natural position pre rip....notice how taught the seam line is....

95feeb8a-90af-462f.jpg

95feb655-9131-4bf5.jpg

95feb655-9159-0546.jpg

Without the ridgeline it would have been even worse as the stress on the seam with the extra panel increases. If I'd have unclipped the ridgeline crab....it looks like it would have totally wrecked it :(
95feb655-9215-2614.jpg

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I have the same hammock, and the whoopie angles look no different to anything I would set-up.
If the tree's are a fair distance apart, I've used a more shallow angle which in turn puts more strain on the static ridge line. Never had a problem.

Mat's a stand up bloke, I'm sure it will be sorted promply whatever the cause.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I have the same hammock, and the whoopie angles look no different to anything I would set-up.
If the tree's are a fair distance apart, I've used a more shallow angle which in turn puts more strain on the static ridge line. Never had a problem.

Mat's a stand up bloke, I'm sure it will be sorted promply whatever the cause.

Cheers big un ;) at no point is Mat at fault, its either how I clipped it to the tree stamps (angle etc) or how I sat in it....(off centre ? Too central ?) I'm thinking on reflection and looking at it with pictures and a second set of eyes...... its not the angle I think is at fault....its how much material is synched up at each end and how its synched ? See how much of the net zip is tied up ? Causing taughtness on one edge. Surely the hammock should sag with the midge net unzipped ?
Cheers

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
There does seem to be a fair bit of hammock gathered above the whoopie/larks foot at the ends... I can do you a piccy of mine (easy tiger :) ) and post it in the morning.

I've flopped into mine a few times slightly worse for ware and its done a Stirling job!

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth

Is that the side ripstop footbox of the hammock the chap is holding Chis? If so, i can't see why it should be that high up. Is that seam he is holding the zip to the bug net? That zip should be down near his knees! Have you unclipped the ridge line? You use that to guage whether you have the angles and tensions right.

Did you sit in the footbox?

I have been searching for a pic of the hammock when i used it with the net zipped off, the only one was when my daughter was playing around in it:

IMG_0643.jpg

She's in there somewhere :)

Not a great pic i know, but the sidewall is no where near that high or tight!

from the side it should have looked like this:

IMG_1307.jpg

Note the same type of lashed/whipped ends on the hammock. The ones on yours/mine have been like that since Mat sent it to me, so I cant see they would be the problem.

Last edited:

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Aye, he's holding the side where the foot box is, its showing how tight it is pre rip, surely it should just hang like you say low. If the ridgeline is unclipped it would pull on that edge even more. It's like the material gathered at each end is too much and won't allow it to sag evenly .
I can't get my head round why the zip end (with the little gusset and net bag ) is gathered like it is? Why have the zip tied up só it can't be used properly?

The whoopies and straps have no tension on them and yet the hammock is taught on the far edge. This is due to the gathered material. Did you ungather the ends and re synch them ?

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I can't get my head round why the zip end (with the little gusset and net bag ) is gathered like it is? Why have the zip tied up só it can't be used properly?

I not sure which end you're on about, but one end (looks like the ripped end) has the zip looping round so the net can be zipped back completely. The other has the zip and fabric whipped into the bundle so the net can't run off the zips, (that's why its gathered). The net zips back and is stored into the little net bag, which is attached to the ridge-line.

This is due to the gathered material.
Which gathered material? Are you talking about the whipped/spliced ends? Do you have a pic?

Did you ungather the ends and re synch them ?
The entire hammock is exactly as Mat sent it, i have never messed with it in any way!!. It has hung perfectly every time. As you can see from my pic above, no tight edge or anything!

To be honest, looking at the footbox, it looks too tightly strung to me, that seam/edge shouldn't be horizontal, it should be hung down in a gentle curve. If you raise the straps on the tree - should be about 7 to 8ft off the ground (or arms full stretch for me) - and slacken off the whoopies, it should loosen up that edge, and hang like my pics above ^^^

I'm sure Mat will sort it out though & my offer still stands. If you want to meet up & go through setting it up, i'm more than happy, just drop me a PM :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE