Wrapped in cotton wool???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
I was at the mothers down in hereford this weekend with my niece and we spent the day at eastnor castle (great place to visit btw) and she picked up a pretty straight bit of pine so when we got back I got out my pocket knife and carved her a quick wooden knife of her own. I taught her afterwards about what the tool is for and what it isn't seeing as despite being a real city kid she does love to get involved when I'm learning and practising my own bushcraft skills. She's 6 years old and was delighted at her new carving. It's not very sharp at all and yet people who have been told about it have gone crazy. Apparently it's irresponsible? Sorry for trying to teach the kid that a knife isn't a weapon or a toy but a tool that should be treated with respect. Is it just me or has the world gone a bit over protective on the younger kids??!!

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Our 3year old has a wooden knife she uses for play-dough, pretend cooking prep., etc.. It's how they learn and get taught the fundamental safety aspects, before moving on. She even imagined, of her own volition, a pretend axe yesterday to process her kindling.

I'd be more concerned if our daughter couldn't use such elementary tools safely when she grows up - that is our responsibility :)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Wildwolf used the sharpest kitchen knife in the house from at least 2 years old (maybe earlier) to cut up his chocolate biscuits (as you do).

Had his own Enzo aged 7.

By comparison.....age 7..... his uncle could plough a field with a tractor. Wheras he can barely drive.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
My boy is 7, i gave him a SAK for his 7th birthday.. he loves it. He doesn't mess about with it, and take great pleasure from opening new toys and things like that with it. I showed him how to use it safely, spent an hour with him making sure he could open and close the blades safely etc.. He's like any other 7 year old, loves to play and be silly etc, but when the knife comes out, he's instantly very grown up and careful about what he's doing. He respects it and what it can do.... but only because he was taught properly. Its nice to see.

Ignore those who say its irresponsible. (especially over a bit of wood). they know nothing. Wonder how many plastic knives kids have from toys etc like play kitchens and things like that... bet none has anything to say about those.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
The world has gone mad. Our society now tries to infantilise all of us let alone kids. Ignore the naysayers, as far as I'm concerned you are teaching your neice to be resourceful and responsible, and she'll be all the better for it.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
After-thought.

Remember how people who do not used knives outside the kitchen think of them. Anti-knife laws (I'm told) started in the Kray twins era, for good reason.

Those reasons are still around and but also media hyped at this time.

In a hyped envirionment it can be difficult to show a different world.

Crassy84

Forager
Oct 22, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
My boy is three, he knows the importance and responsibility a knife brings and i will ley him help me do certain things like processing and carving. My grandad did the same for me and even back then (about 25 years ago) people went crazy. It's a sad world. But if we don't keep at it I can see the "man" taking EDC from us sooner than later too!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My little girl (5) says that she can have a knife when she's 19.

She has recently started playing at guns but I've told her that she must never point one at someone, even a pretend or toy gun as I'd like her to start shooting for real some time

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
My son started with a small multi tool, before using my knife under supervision, i've got him his own knife for Easter.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
my six year old has her own bow and arrow and is getting a mora safety knife tomorrow!
There is no point. Kids cut themselves but don't stab themselves. I've taught a lot of under 10s to carve, used lots of plasters but never had an injury caused by the pointy end. Get her a proper knife.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Agreed, its hard to respect the knife tip, if one has no tip ;)

There is no point. Kids cut themselves but don't stab themselves. I've taught a lot of under 10s to carve, used lots of plasters but never had an injury caused by the pointy end. Get her a proper knife.

artschool

Forager
Sep 14, 2014
chester

you are correct, there is no point!

i appreciate the sentiment but i will be starting her off with this one.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is cos you're from Nottingham. At six she should be hanging wiv her crew get wide on energy drinks and food coloring not mucking about wiv all that scanky woodland stuff. ( this statement is very tongue and cheek)

Yeap the world has gone mad.

Last edited:

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I still have the scar on my knuckle from my first penknife, acquired age 7, so I took some extra time with my son when he had his first knife just before bushmoot 2014 aged 8 and guess what? Cut himself within a day... lesson now learnt and he has not cut himself since and was battoning wood, for the first time ever, with my Fieldcrafter with confidence yesterday. All kids are different, but if they have an interest in a subject how wrong would it be to not to teach what you know and encourage them?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was given a SAK style pen knife when I was about 8. No instruction other than "cut away from yourself and be careful!"
I have no noticeable scars from knives except a small one on my left palm from when I was reshaping a blade in my 40s and one from a scalpel when I was in my teens and making wargaming figures (Napoleonic 25mm figures mostly convertions from Airfix...) and sliced all four fingers on my left hand when a dull scalpel slipped...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE