Would you risk your finger?

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
In a word no. I have seen too many pieces of safety equipment fail. I don't say it is not a brilliant idea but as an absolute last resort. If the blade was guarded to prevent access to anything not meant to be cut I would be happier using the saw. Amazing photography.

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
Well this is what happens of it TOUCHES your finger!!!!! So DON'T DO IT!!!!!
yjaqyvuq.jpg
That was my finger 3 weeks ago!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd trust it with my finger but I wouldn't headbutt the blade. :)

It's completely impractical though in the real world I think . A squashed spider/ bit of sandwich debris on the other side of the wood and the saws had it for the day, as will have the operators pants.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
its a nifty bit of engineering, but there is no way I would trust it! aside from technical failure,what if like many people, you are wearing gloves whilst working? No chance of the electrical conductivity there.

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Not a chance, you become to laid back and don't think about what happens if things don't work. I prefer to be aware of what's happening.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Absolutely no way anyone in his right mind would deliberately risk a finger, even the guy in the video was exceedingly careful, but my former dentist wishes he'd had that safety devce fitted to his saw before he cut off his right middle finger with it.

Looks like a very worth-while addition to the safety kit.

A friend of mine used to work on the electrics on jets in the USAF. He said theyweren't allowed to use insulated tools...

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Not at speed but the softly softly approach seemed to work in that promotional video..... :rolleyes:

I'll stick to my hand saws.
Andy

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
Never felt a thing copper head severed the digital nerve and artery so will never feel anything above the wound on that side of the finger again plus have been left with a lovely scar!

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
Scary, knowing my luck I would get the first chinese import of the device. Even the noise of the saw puts you off going anywhere near the blade with your hand.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
i wondeer what happens if you try to cut damp wood? Most of the wood in my workshop has about as much mo0isture in it as the average hot dog sausage!

I asked someone on another forum that owns one of those saws, seems that you can disable the electronics when you are cutting wet wood like slate batons.

If you forget, it gets expensive and you buy another mechanism. Then it only works on small saws because the larger ones have way to much energy when running and stopping them as fast sends bits of metal all over the shop.

Plus safety is a continuing thing that comes from good working practice, getting blasé with those things and then see what happens when someones set it up for cutting slate batens of try it on a big three phase Wadkin and you lose bits.

Personally I wouldn't have one of those saws with to much electronics given.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE