would u and do u reckon you could if the oppertunity arose

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'd love too, but I'd get bored after a while and my feet would be itching for pastures new. I think six months is the most I could manage without my brain shrivelling to goo.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I think I could but any more than about 6-7 months and I'd be quite a different person, possibly irreversibly. I'd love to try though!

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
The whole notion is absurd really because it's not about survival but mental attitude.

More people die alone in the civilized world than ever do in what is supposed to be a challenging environment.

It's the same inner resilience that is necessary in either case and this wilderness guy is as much likely to be an urban failure as anything else if he tried it.

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
i would pack up and go tomorrow if i could, and would happily stay for the rest of my life
but the sad fact is i dont have the knowledge or skills to survive
i can still dream right
maybe one day

The thought of it sounds interesting and I think I would cope with not seeing other people . My fear would turning lazy and not bothering with routine and ending up starving! But forget the not allowed to shoot big game! Moose or porcupine! moose would be on the fire I am afraid. If I were him I would of switched the camera off and bagged myself some serious food. Then filmed myself taking pot shots at squirrels.

Oops confused as too which Alone in the wild you were talking about! I think I would like to try building a log cabin! As for living in the wilds when the kids are on the warpath a peaceful lakeside cabin sounds like bliss!

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Waste of time.

The Alaskan wilderness is not known for its second hand bookshops or antiquities.

Give me Timbuktu any day

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
i could do it i think easy for as long as he does. would be weird no people been around but i am a loner anyway so i dont think it would bother me that much would miss my new puppy more than people i think lol.

takjaa

May 20, 2010
Hampshire, England
yup that would be the life for me :D
. . when the kids leave home . . ;) lol, im pretty sure I could deal with all the ins and outs off that life pretty well!
That film is awsome Iv watched it loads of time and the 2nd one 'Alaska Silence and Solitude' which isjust as awsome .. awsom awsom awsom!!

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Absolutely! Ed's heart was elsewhere and it broke him. Dick Proenneke's heart was with the wilderness and he thrived.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
There is no way that I could have watched a moose walk by, whilst sitting with a gun and living on rice and porcupine. I think I would be eating moose and getting fined.
Having a canoe to use with all that virgin lake to fish for a few months, whilst eating barbecued moose steak doesn't sound too bad to me.

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Id definitely give it a go......................... Providing i can press a button to call for a helicopter, just in case I cant cut it. I reckon I could, right now, sitting on the sofa with a brew at my elbow...but really I don't know, because Ive never tested my metal to that extent. If you get my drift.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE