would someone help us

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lollywilli

Jul 26, 2011
shropshire
build a yurt , for bed and breakfast , im about to search ebay for the canvas, ive seen khana rods on ebay for 99p each , do u think that is a good price?, any advice would be really appreaciated, thanks , lorraine x

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Rather than pay 99p for imported sticks, why dont you cut your own hazel rods. just take a small saw or secateurs with you everytime you go for a walk and collect a dozen sunshoots from the hedges. You'll soon have enough and it will save you a couple of hundred quid.

lollywilli

Jul 26, 2011
shropshire
thankyou both, funny u say that jon has just bought a fishing rod, for standing on the beach, so far he has caught a stone and some seaweed x

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Yurts are supposed to be felt covered.LOL.......It's a great idea they're very popular in France both as a weekend break (yurt & breakfast) & summer hols (gites & demi-pension)......even some camp sites now have them installed for rent........
You could use green bamboo canes.if you know anyone who wishes to get rid of their bamboo ( I'd love to get rid of mine).............good luck to you anyway..

lollywilli

Jul 26, 2011
shropshire
honestly i only fopund out what a yurt was a few weeks ago, although we have lived in caravans , so i am being serious, sporry for my ignorence.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
although the felt is mainly to add warmth, it also adds a little bit to the overall integrity of the structure and blocks out a surprising amount of sound. there's no need for felt in the warmer months (the canvas covering should be plenty) but it makes a world of difference in the colder months.

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
forgot to say, the felt layer doesn't have to be felt, all sorts of things could be used instead. the warmest, quietest, and most stable ger i've ever been in used lots of old woollen carpet as the "felt" layer. if you use a liner (cheap white cotton) on the inside and canvas on the outside then the aesthetics of the thing don't matter, the "felt" layer will be completely hidden.

stuart

edit: southey beat me to it!

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
There are a few in the Lakes that can be hired for short breaks.
If you want some expert advice try Ben at Woodsmoke.He's very friendly and helpful also Willow Lohr who works with Woodsmoke has a partner who makes yurts I think.
They had a couple at my son's school for a weekend and slept in them.Very comfortable in February.
Good Luck with your project.
Simon

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Felt is used by the mongolian nomads as they make it from their sheep's wool, it offers good weather proctection & is light in weight making the frequent mounting & packing away a relatively quick & easy process.

Canvass may be ok but it will be more of a safari tent experience than a yurt one.............

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The reason the originals use felt is because by being *real* felt, it's both waterproof and breathable, fire and spark proof as well as warm.
Modern blankets are not *real* felt; well, not unless you overwash them :)
I shrunk one and it ended up like a woolly brick :rolleyes:

Modern waterproof fabrics usually cause condensation and mildew problems. Even in ones in constant use. That's why folks use canvas, and by virtue of it being cotton, (a thirsty fabric) and our damp climate, they too go mildewy but don't suffer condensation.

It's a double edged sword. If the yurt is in permanent use it needs constant ventilation. If it's for occasional use it needs to be thoroughly dried in between uses. All of the permanent ones I know of have raised wooden floors and even then they have to be properly ventilated.

Climate is an issue you can't underestimate.

Not trying to put you off, just being very realistic, and wishing you the best with it :)

cheers,
Toddy

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Lots of traditional yurts are cover inside and out like this

yurts.jpg

and inside

inside_yurt_01.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE