would someone help us

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Lots of traditional yurts are cover inside and out like this

yurts.jpg

and inside

inside_yurt_01.jpg
[/QUOTE

All they're missing is army surplus blankets slung over 'em

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
We use old army blankets inside the canvas round the walls and it works pretty well, we are getting a few more blankets, when funds allow, to make a shaped blanket for the roof. Does make the inside very dark...
We have a plastic skirt round the base of the wall that helps reduce the wicking from the ground, but Toddy's right, you have to really dry out the canvas before packing away.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those are beautiful Southey, but the climate is exactly right for them there.

You know what works in our climate ? Wood.
Stone is strong and wind and rainproof but it's cold. It lasts though, so that's what folks use/buy (or replicate in brick) to endure.
A round house with walls of hazel hurdles under a wide roof which would allow wattle and daub. Roof either thatched or shingled. It's not like a solid stone castle of a building, it kind of breathes with it's environment. It needs on going repair and attention though. Doesn't quite suit our modern lifestyles :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you want blankets John ? I've got two that I dyed with madder that have ended up pink :rolleyes: Not quite the colour I was looking for to make cloaks. I was aiming for a kind of rust, but these are *pink*.
If you can use them I'll get them through to you :)
I'm doing the Iron Age firemaking stuff in Holyrood Park again in three weeks :D Want to come and play ? :D

cheers,
M

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Wood is the way we will go when we get our own bit of somewhere, I spent a few years building cabins for lugard round the south of England and the just fit better than any building, well to my eye any way, quite cheep to buy the materials and simple to construct, fantastic warmth and what a beautiful smell

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Do you want blankets John ? I've got two that I dyed with madder that have ended up pink :rolleyes: Not quite the colour I was looking for to make cloaks. I was aiming for a kind of rust, but these are *pink*.
If you can use them I'll get them through to you :)
I'm doing the Iron Age firemaking stuff in Holyrood Park again in three weeks :D Want to come and play ? :D

cheers,
M

Hello, yes I'd be very intrested in the blankets, and the Iron age firemaking....

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Excellent :approve: I've got new toys to play with :cool:

cheers,
M

I'll look out for the dates...

re the original post...

http://www.redkiteyurts.com/ is another site with a fair bit of info...

We bought rolls of canvas from Lows of dundee, http://www.lowsofdundee.co.uk/ very helpful and they sent samples...

We used a regular sewing machine, it did need serviced afterwards though, I think someone suggested getting a sailmaker to do the stitching if it was too much, but we managed.. We used the church hall for a lot of the measuring and cutting of canvas...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
*I* think so, but John C would be a better person to ask I think.
The only other person who I know uses canvas in such quantities is Eric Methven. Again, well worth asking him too :)

It certainly seems a very reasonable price for a lot of fabric.
Will they send you a sample so that you can have a looksee and a trial stitching ?

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Before you spend £1000 pound on khana rods another nine or so hundred on canvas, add to that the cost of the felt blankets yet more on timber for the roof wheel and all that, you can buy a decent sized readymade for under three grand.

lollywilli

Jul 26, 2011
shropshire
thats what i thought toddy, i think im going with a dome but its polyethylene so one i may cook in it 2 its hard to paint? 3 its 399.00 for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE