Wotcha :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 6, 2015
middle of england
Just thought I'd introduce myself to the people i didn't meet at the bushmoot.
I'm Alex, CA or Curious Aardvark. I answer to most things :)

I run slinging.org and appeared at bushmoot 2015 for a couple of days with a full spec Balearic slinging target for the slinging competition and to just generally help David out (he needs a lot of help you know).

Had a fantastic time and was seriously impressed with the whole event.
Particularly wth how family friendly it was and how well behaved all the kids were. Also great to see kids doing all the things I used to do as a kid and not just staring at screens all day.

Great atmosphere, some very good slinging and the sling making workshop was much much busier than I was expecting.
We ended up making at least 34 slings. Which could be a record in 2.5 hours :)
Next year I'll be better prepared with more colours of leather (found a bag when i got home) more paracord and some different templates and sling patterns.

I hold my hand up to being responsible for the slinging 'sock wars'.
It's my fault if anyone was annoyed by them - but come on, it was great fun :)

The slinging competition was the first ever to be held in the uk with proper balearic target and rules. It was also the first Competition to be held under the auspices of the new: International Federation of Slingers.
A body created to bring competitions from round the world together under a single banner.
So in a small way history was made and those who took part can rightly count themselves pioneers in the evolution of slinging as a competitive sport.
It was a world first !

I have a number of interests other than slinging. Charcuterie and 3d printing not least among them.
Pretty sure I can find bushcraft angles in them for future application.

So that's me. I will be at bushmoot 2016, that's a definite.
Cheers :)

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Hi and welcome from Sunderland. Very interested in the sling, and ancient weapons in general! Might have to pester you for advice at some point!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi there.
Welcome to the forum Bro. Sorry I missed the slinging stuff, I've did a bit of sling making in the past and some experimental hill fort artillery , hard to find the right leather up here these days, but looking forward to some slinging posts now.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2015
middle of england
cheers for the welcome folks.

Leather can be hard to come by so I tend to buy it in bulk when i find it.

best places to look are game & country fairs. Often there'll be leather clothing manufacturers with an offcuts basket.

Although the lot I had at bushmoot actually came from a netmaker (for ferrets I believe) who had a stall at the gamekeeper fair at catton park, ten minutes drive from my house - which is useful :)

Feel free to pester me about any aspect of slinging, 3d printing or charcuterie, sausage making, ham making and cured and preserved meats of any kind.
Also any aspect of bbq, marinades and general food smoking.
On that note I reckon a cured and cold smoked salmon/fish workshop should be eminently doable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE