Worst Weather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
one of my worst was when on course in Brecon, the Commandos and Paras got taken in as the weather was so pap, minus 18-19 ish with snow about 3-4 foot thick, the vehicles could not get around the place so it was done for safety, we on the other hand had to finish our course or fail, so we carried on for the 2 weeks living under tarps with gusting snow, by the end of the 2 weeks it was all good though, i had acclimatization and when the wind died down was walking around in just my t/shirt trousers and boots...:):):):)

I miss those days....good memories...

wind is the worst though, when having a cheeky night alone before a Brockers meet the wind picked up to around 70 mph, im very surprised the trees did not come down, i was a little worried i might get squished , but after an hour or so watching from my bed, the world going by and the trees bent in half i nodded of and had the best nights sleep for a long time....:)

this is a great thread, well done Tony...;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hungary with the Scouts ... a huge hail storm that flattened the tents by the weight of hail on them, big winds and some much rain that the cess-pit on the campsite overflowed ... and our pitch was downhill from the cess-pit....
We had just got everything disinfected when a second storm - just as bad - blew in.
The hail was so big and hard that it was dangerous, not to mention painful, to stand in it. I got the Scouts onto the coach and draped sleepingbags under the roof windows as I was sure they were going to shatter. Scared, weeping Scouts everywhere and kit washing away from inside tents... brutal weather!

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Walking in weather, would be up in Allendale, it was sheeting off the hillside so quickly it took out a couple of dry stone walls.

Camping in rain was a campsite in the lakes up in the dead of night cutting and turning sod to divert the water that was running down the hill away from our tents, those at the bottom of the site were ankle deep in water.

Camping in wind would be watching the Motorcycle racing up at East Fortune, a totally exposed pitch once the guy had removed his vehicle I'd carefully taken shelter behind when pitching up in 60+MPH gusts. I now carry a couple of spare poles for my big tent. Thousands of pounds worth of damage was done to peoples kit as gazebos blew about like carrier bags and the canopy roof outside the bar was wrapped up on top of the bar roof itself. They cancelled some of the racing the next day as the guys on the smaller machines were at risk of being blown off the track.

Yep if you can pick your pitch you can generally counter Rain & temperatures with good kit but wind can seriously screw it all up for you!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wind and lightning kill around 60 folk each every year in the US, it's the flash flooding that'll more likely get you at 140 folk a year.

Yeah. I never got caught in it personally but when I was stationed in Nevada it got quite a few (usually not fatally) every year who unknowingly camped in the Las Vegas Wash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE