Worlds Lost Tribes - TV - Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Hi All,

I'm sure you all have been watching Survival Week on Discovery, and in particular - Worlds Lost Tribes. - Well Olly and Mark built and moved into their tree house last night, and lit a fire by friction.

I was wondering though what they used to line the floor with to avoid setting it alight ? - It looked like they had a fire directly on the rattan floor.

Thanks

Loz

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sounds great but only have council TV here :(

Will be interesting to find out how though :)

naylor b

Jun 30, 2007
uk
I was thinking about this also and it seems very strange but there is no indecations of any metal grill or anything of the like. I would also like to know this. Great tree house though! :D

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi All,

I'm sure you all have been watching Survival Week on Discovery, and in particular - Worlds Lost Tribes. - Well Olly and Mark built and moved into their tree house last night, and lit a fire by friction.

I was wondering though what they used to line the floor with to avoid setting it alight ? - It looked like they had a fire directly on the rattan floor.

Thanks

Loz

Unfortunately, I have not been watching the series.

Many people have hearths right on the floor and next to other combustibles like a wall as
with this Dusun hearth.

As you can see it rests on a wooden floor and is well ventilated from underneath.
A ‘dam’ is built around it to contain the ash etc. and a tightly woven mat rests on the wooden floor and a layer of damp clay sand is spread on top.
DusunHouse144.jpg

While this hearth is on top of the floor, the one you saw could have been sunk in by a few inches and thus been level with the floor. That's probably the answer
These hearth fires are always tended by women or older children and the chance of a blaze is reduced though the structures do sometimes burn down.
There is no sign of scorch marks on the wall.

Another factor is that cooking fires are small by average Western standards.

Here is another view of the and hearth and views of the Dusun house and some utensils.
The guitar shaped instrument is a sape

DusunHouse145.jpg

DusunHouse153.jpg

DusunHouse151.jpg

DusunHouse138.jpg

Kees

Nov 15, 2006
H.I.Ambacht, the Netherlands
Just back from my 4 week trip in the papuan jungle, the house there have fireplaces inside as well, a layer of mud is simply put on the wooden floor and around it is a little higher approx 5 cm. above the fire the made a rack were they could smoke the meat (if available)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE