Workshop envy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
I'm over at my neighbors house, working on building a forge from an old metal sink. His shop is already far better than mine, as he has a drill press a band saw, table saw, belt grinder etc.
I go to my other neighbors house to get some parts welded, and I enter his workshop. He has a bader grinder, bench grinder, buffer, a huge arbor press, metal cutting bandsaw, A HUGE amount of metal stock and parts, and to top it off, a blasting cabinet. My mind has already been blown, but then I go into the other part of his shop, and he has a metal lathe, milling machine, and an arc welder.:notworthy:Wow:
GAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

Last edited:

Buggane

Jul 30, 2012
Isle of Mann/ Liverpool
I get this all the time as my "workshop" is my garden so my power tools options are very limted when it comes to bench and table mounted tools but i get by doing most things by hand. But what i don't get envious of at all is my mates as most of his investment is in snap-on tools and cabinet which at the price i could never fathom.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The most expensive thing you need is floorspace, everything else can be bought in dribs and drabs.
If you wait long enough tools just turn up cheap eventually.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
I went back today to finish up the forge I'm making. It was my first time welding, so that was fun. He also has a chop saw, abrasive chop saw, 9 angle grinders, 3 die grinders, and 2 bench grinders.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can never keep up with a dedicated hobbyist - especially the "retired on a good pension" type.

My neighbour has everything metal work related....almost literally....multiple industrial milling machines type well equipped. He mills stainless parts for me...and cuts spare keys for us on his key cutting machine (I kid you not). His vehicles are something to behold as well....from his Unimog to his vintage Rolls Royce. As demographic says though, its just time. He bought out the stock of a bankrupt key cutters for that machine (for a handful of used notes), the Rolls was rusting away in a barn, the Unimog was a trashed MOT failure. With the mog he can now collect and lift heavy machines that no-one else will offer money for (and so he gets them very cheap). He picked up a 20kVA three phase diesel generator recently for buttons - because no-one else can shift it :D

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Yeah, with a big work area and a van to collect thing most other gear come cheap if you don't mind waiting a while for them.
Heavy items often go for very little money on Ebay.
I've noticed this when buying English made Vice's as the owners never want to post them, they almost always put Buyer Collect and if you can pick them up you get a bargain compared to buying a new one by a good named manufacturer.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
You can never keep up with a dedicated hobbyist - especially the "retired on a good pension" type.

My neighbour has everything metal work related....almost literally....multiple industrial milling machines type well equipped. He mills stainless parts for me...and cuts spare keys for us on his key cutting machine (I kid you not). His vehicles are something to behold as well....from his Unimog to his vintage Rolls Royce. As demographic says though, its just time. He bought out the stock of a bankrupt key cutters for that machine (for a handful of used notes), the Rolls was rusting away in a barn, the Unimog was a trashed MOT failure. With the mog he can now collect and lift heavy machines that no-one else will offer money for (and so he gets them very cheap). He picked up a 20kVA three phase diesel generator recently for buttons - because no-one else can shift it :D

He actually does that too, he makes auto parts and refurbished an old car recently. He finds parts at the dump,cleans them up, sells them on ebay, and uses that money to buy more tools:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a good hobby for those who like such thngs....I lack the talent.

Now that I have the space, I am gradually building up my bench tools as time and money permit. Got a nice bench drill and a sliding chop saw - the two combined make my agricultural woodworking (which would make any decent chippy curse) much quicker....I succumbed and sold some stuff to buy the chop saw after hand cutting a couple of hundred joints with a panel saw and mitre box. That gets really dull after a while!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I took some pictures of my less than tidy workshops today, since I keep getting harassed about not showing my man cave :rolleyes: I'll post some up later for a little shed envy and an illustration that if a tidy workshop is the sign of a sick mind, then I am VERY healthy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE