working with some olive wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
This first one is from regular olive wood. Hard stuff, and dense, but sure makes a durable spoon. My daughter has been using one I made for her out of olive wood and it's a real workhorse. Looks nice as it wears too.

4gzHGcq.jpg

L8XhpIl.jpg

I have a friend in Idaho who sent me some pieces of this wood he calls Russian olive. I think it's really a type of willow. Despite a porous growth ring, it was nice to carve and made a decent spoon.

NugdSaS.jpg

cFjk7Pa.jpg

4ZcLRkd.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful, really lovely. Not just functional but very attractive too. Your daughter will find it a pleasure I'm sure. I still use things that my Dad made for me over thirty years ago.

I have a square ended one that Warthog1981 carved for me, like your first image, and it's such a useful tool, it really is, I don't know why more aren't made.

M

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
What is the wood structure like on the real olive?? I'm told that olive trees don't have annual growth rings! But that Russian olive (willow) obviously has

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks, Muddypaws and Toddy....I agree about the square ends. They work nicely.

Didicoy, yes the real olive dosn't have distinct growth rings. I don't think the Russian olive is a true olive.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The ornamental Russian Olive is Eleagnus angustifolia All true willows are Salix sp.
True olives are in the Family Oleaceae but I've forgotten the genus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE