Working with a swiss army knife woes!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
From the way I read it, the OP is saying/asking is that if anyone feels slightly anxious using a folding blade knife, which has assumed the term 'SAK' in this thread and that they will consider buying a locking blade, which has assumed the term 'Leatherman'. I'm guessing these terms have been used for this purpose because they think that most SAKs are non-locking blades and leathermans are mostly locking blades. I would have thought people would cotton onto this train of thought as well. I hope its the right one. No need to cast a bad feeling over the thread, or maybe its just me feeling that.

Anyway, onto answering the OP, Yes i am rather apprehensive about using folding blades and i rarely if ever use them for any form of carving or heavy cutting, not even a folding locking blade, nothing like the good ol' Mora, eh?
cheers
paddy

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I use a slipjoint daily and haven't had one close on my fingers for the best part of 40 years. If you use it properly and only apply pressure to the cutting edge, it is fine.

The biggest problem the OP has is that his knife blade is concealed amongst a selection of superfluous spare bits of metal. He does state it is a Swisschamp and as we all know a swiss army knife becomes less useful as you add layers. Beyond one or two layers they become pointless.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Depends on the job and knife control - I make bucksaw frames using a slip joint SAK - butt joints, bored holes and all.

Theres a few jobs I use a locking knife for - but very few - if I really need safe, I use a fixed blade. I've had more that one liner lock give way under pressure. If I need a small knife to take lateral pressure I use this one

Knife Side by British Red, on Flickr

or this one - with a sheath designed for pocket carry

img1903n.jpg

Both are safer than a slipjoint or a liner lock if fear of blade collapse / fold is a concern - and no less legal than a lock knife. Frankly, given the law, I see little point in a locking knife. A Leatherman I find handy for fence wire etc. around the homestead - but its the pliers rather than a locking blade that defines it. The big SAK has a monster saw that I use on the hedges etc. when wandering about the place. Generlaly though - I think a small fixed blade is a better choice than a locking folder.

Red

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I agree with what red says about locking folders i dont even buy them anymore. Id rather carry and use a small necker size fix blade than a full size locker. Iv never been a fan of saks personaly i think its possibly easy to fold out the blade and use it in the same manner as you would say the awl or punch were as when your using a 3 inch single bladed edc folder your very aware of the fact your using a large knife capable of biting so care is taken.
Also i think the main thing is to become familiar and confident with your edc by using it regurly.cheers

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I can live with the blades on my SAK not locking, but I wish the awl would lock. The bottle-opener isn't too clever either.

Z

Sent from my SAK using Tapatalk

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I am very happy with my Vic SAK huntsman as EDC. The only real reservation I have is the strength of the blade so I use it sensibly my Vic trailmaster is much sturdier but a lock knife.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am strongly of the opinion that a non locking blade will only bite you if you use the wrong technique with it - just like any blade will only bite you if you use the wrong technique with it!
I love my SAKs (mainly non locking), my Leatherman tools( mainly locking) and my fixed blade knives - not to mention axes, Billhooks, machetes etc - and the only time I have ever cut myself is when I have been careless and stupidly not using good technique (" I know I should not make this cut... but I should get away with it ...b*gg*r ... where is the FAK") - do not blame the tool, blame the users technique!:D
I have lots of little scars that I owe to the learning process (being a slow learner!) but I have not cut myself with a folder for a couple of years now :)
Time spent learning saves on time in A&E!

Jacknife

Forager
Aug 27, 2005
Somerset
I use a slipjoint daily and haven't had one close on my fingers for the best part of 40 years. If you use it properly and only apply pressure to the cutting edge, it is fine.

The biggest problem the OP has is that his knife blade is concealed amongst a selection of superfluous spare bits of metal. He does state it is a Swisschamp and as we all know a swiss army knife becomes less useful as you add layers. Beyond one or two layers they become pointless.

+1
I had a bad cut in my teens when a slip-joint folded on me...my fault.... not a SAK, but I learnt the lesson to keep the pressure on the cutting edge, you only need to keep the blade at a slight angle to what you're cutting and your fingers are as safe as houses. Not knocking anyone who prefers lockers, I've a whole bunch of them as well as my slip-joints.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE